Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used search...still have a Fork question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used search...still have a Fork question..

Does anyone ever replace the outer and inner tube "anti friction"metals when they rebuild a set of forks?

I was reading the manual (Thanks BassCliff) and came across a spot saying they always need to be changed when the forks are disassembled.

The manual says to always replace. If you got the bucks and will the bike for a while replace them.

Comment

Agreed -- replace if possible, not a disaster if you don't though.

The upper ones are supposedly NLA for my '83 GS850G. They still looked pretty good the last time I was in the forks, at about 80,000 miles. 104,000 so far with no problems.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If they aren't worn to the point you can actually see it (yes you can see the wear) then I don't replace.

Comment

Not to sound stupid but what part are we talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
            Not to sound stupid but what part are we talking about?
            You would only sound stupid if you had my last boss' voice.

Comment

There's another "slide metal" at the bottom of the fork leg, as well.

They appear to be a bronze-ish bushing coated with Teflon where it slides against the chrome fork tube.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                There's another "slide metal" at the bottom of the fork leg, as well.

They appear to be a bronze-ish bushing coated with Teflon where it slides against the chrome fork tube.
                They are. This makes it easy to detect wear. If you can see bronze through the teflon - replace. That's my standard anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X