Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a GS400 run smoothly on pods? (It's a fitment issue)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a GS400 run smoothly on pods? (It's a fitment issue)

Since my fram is a 78 and the engine is from an 82, and I don't want to stick a pre-80's engine into it, is there a way to make a 1982 GS400 run smoothly on pod filters? Assuming I'm using high quality K&N filters.

The reason I ask this is because the 80s GS400 carb setup is wider than the 78, making the original airbox & boots not fit properly and it pushes it tight against the fender, and on big bumps the wheel contacts the fender. (Scares the crap out of me sometimes!)

So to fix all this I was thinking how hard it would be to make it run on pods? I know this comes up all the time but I couldn't find much about the twins. I know I'd need bigger mains (stock are 117.5) but what about the needle? Would I need one shaped differently or could I go about moving the clip? I don't think anyone makes a modified needle for the 400.

Basically it would make maintaning the bike a lot easier, and make it look a lot sharper at the same time. I could even put on stock side covers if I use pods, since as it is, it pushes all the mounting stuff way out of wack.

I would guess that a 78 400 would have been on CV's as would the 82 but having problems refitting the airbox would suggest that the earlier bike carbs were smaller than what the 82 bikes one's are.

Have you checked the parts numbers on line and checked this?

Comment

cant you get a set of 77 carbs and use the bits from it along with the 81+ carbs to make them fit?

Comment

Making it run well on pods can be done but as you'll see from all the relevant carb threads, it's not easy.
        Have you got the airbox and boots etc for the later motor ?
        My recommendation would be to trim this airbox as required to make it fit the earlier frame and plastic weld as required to make it reasonably airtight.
        The best results will come with the airbox those carbs were jetted for.

Greg T

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
          I would guess that a 78 400 would have been on CV's as would the 82 but having problems refitting the airbox would suggest that the earlier bike carbs were smaller than what the 82 bikes one's are.

Have you checked the parts numbers on line and checked this?
          The earlier carbs were completley different than mine, having both an air needle and fuel needle.. Definitely different.

My current airbox is the one that came with the 78, and I havn't tried using a 1980+ airbox because I don't want to find out that it doesn't fit and waste $50 getting it over here.

That's why I wanted to know if pods are.. "doable". Not for looks or performance but from a "everything fits" standpoint.

Comment

Ok so I measured from where the carb boots attach to the airbox, all the way to the back where it contacts the fender. I measured exactly 10".

If I can find a GS450/400 airbox that is less than 10", I might be on to something.

The other issue is that my airbox isn't square, it's kind of L shaped so that there's room for the battery to fit. I might run into an issue with the 450/400 airbox hitting the battery..

Comment

Ever get your pod Jetting set up?
              I'm planning on doing the same but don't want to spend two months ripping my hair out

Comment

Working...
              X