Stainless bolt sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stainless bolt sets

Sorry guys I know these have been done to death. AM hoping to coddle together enough for a set in the near future and wanting to know here who has bought a set they WERE NOT happy with, and where they got it, so as I know what to avoid.

There are a number on Ebay as well as places like Z1. For instance, guys like this who seem to have all positive feedback: (German site, but ahve translated it and its the whole set)

There are nothing like these places down in Oz that I know of, and buying single bolts from hardware stores and bolt shops becomes rather expensive for my limited budget.

Also, some sets come with washers, and some don't. Are washers needed in some places?

Are all the Allen heads the one size? What size? (mm) - I will have to buy the correct size allensocket to fit.

Does anyone have a pic of their 1980 16V 750 or 1100 with their new bolts in place?

cheers
    Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2009, 11:44 PM.

Hi,

I seem to recall that the bolt set I bought from Z1 came with three allen keys. Most used a 5mm key. Here's a picture...

The really small ones were for the cam end covers...

I'm happy with the set I got from Z1 Enterprises.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks very much BassCliff The photos look good - the stainless bolts certainly make a difference don't they.

Does the Z1 kit come with washers too? Do you need them as well for some of the bolts?

Comment

www.stainlesscycle.com is where i got my stainless set

Comment

Originally posted by Ricko19 View Post
          Thanks very much BassCliff The photos look good - the stainless bolts certainly make a difference don't they.

Does the Z1 kit come with washers too? Do you need them as well for some of the bolts?
          Washers not uncluded or needed.

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
            Washers not uncluded or needed.
            Hi Mr. Ricko19,

Nope, no washers. I forget now who makes the kits for Z1, but they are an "industry standard" supplier. For most of the bolts I used some white Locktite thread sealer(NOT thread locker). This is especially important for a Real Gasket user because the valve cover and breather gaskets go on with such little torque.

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks very much guys

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                Hi Mr. Ricko19,

Nope, no washers. I forget now who makes the kits for Z1, but they are an "industry standard" supplier. For most of the bolts I used some white Locktite thread sealer(NOT thread locker). This is especially important for a Real Gasket user because the valve cover and breather gaskets go on with such little torque.

BassCliff
                We assemble the bolt kits... we buy bolts - both regular length and some special order ones, we polish all the bolts, and then make the kits.

Comment

You can't go wrong with Z1. ebay sellers are her today and gone tomorrow. If I'd known Z1 sold them before I bought mine, I would have bought from them. As it was, I purchased them on ebay, don't recall from whom. Many of the bolts were of the wrong size and the kit was far from complete. For instance, I didn't get cam cover screws. Needless to say, I had to complete the kit at my expense through McMaster Carr.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff.saunders View Post
                    We assemble the bolt kits... we buy bolts - both regular length and some special order ones, we polish all the bolts, and then make the kits.
                    Hi Mr. jeff.saunders,

Wow, that's a lot of effort. But the kit looks great on my bike. Thanks for the information.

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Guys and Jeff - wil definately go Z1 then when funds permit

Comment

We have in excess of a couple of hundred thousand stainless steel fasteners in stock today...

Over the next few weeks we'll be adding the individual fasteners to the Z1 Enterprises web site.

We have three polishing machines, and will have a special cut-off machine (being made for us) to shorten bolts and put a chamfer on the end so the thread isn't compromised.

Depending on the size and whether we have to special order the bolts, we buy 500-1000 and as much as 5,000 of one size at a time.

Comment

To Z1
                          All I can say is may you live long and prosper!!
                          You will be bookmarked forever

Thanks

Terry

Comment

Working...
                          X