Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who knows tires???

Tire selection is limited these days on a stock 1983 GS1100E. LOL

Any tire recommendations? I currently have Bridgestone Spitfire 130/90/17 rear and 100/90/19 front. The price was right and the worked well enough. A little more stick never hurts or could it?

I’ve been told that modern sport tires would cause handling problems because they stick so hard they cause the weak frame/front forks of the GS to flex. How much damage could a pencil thin 130 do? Can you even find a sport compound in these sizes?

I’ve also been told that as tires age they get hard from all the short trips where you heat up the tire. Even if they have many miles left for tread they may not perform as well as they should. Annual replacement is recommended. My tires are 5 years old. I’ve seen real old tires that have cracked and hardened but only after many many years. I’ve always replaced them. But annually? In the past before the kids and old age, my tires never made it to a year before needing to be replaced I rode all the time so this is the first time I've ever had to think about the tires age

Input anyone?

I just replaced my Spitfires with Battelax BT-45's in a V compound, when renobruce comes over tomorrow I'll be giving them the test! They should be a little better. Hopefully last as long.

Eric

Comment

I have never heard the recommendation to do annual tire replacements, but that is what I do anyway.

OK, so it's just over a year between tire changes, but it's just something that has to happen about every 20-23,000 miles.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have gotten up to 12,000 out of a rear Spitfire, more out of the front.
        Never got more than 5-6,000 out of Continentals or Dunlops.
        Something about that horsepower that makes them disappear.
        I do not buy touring tires. I ride "spirited."

Eric

Comment

I love my Pirrelli MT66's. I recommend them to everybody.
          1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
          The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by Sunburn View Post
            Tire selection is limited these days on a stock 1983 GS1100E. LOL

Any tire recommendations? I currently have Bridgestone Spitfire 130/90/17 rear and 100/90/19 front. The price was right and the worked well enough. A little more stick never hurts or could it?

I’ve been told that modern sport tires would cause handling problems because they stick so hard they cause the weak frame/front forks of the GS to flex. How much damage could a pencil thin 130 do? Can you even find a sport compound in these sizes?

I’ve also been told that as tires age they get hard from all the short trips where you heat up the tire. Even if they have many miles left for tread they may not perform as well as they should. Annual replacement is recommended. My tires are 5 years old. I’ve seen real old tires that have cracked and hardened but only after many many years. I’ve always replaced them. But annually? In the past before the kids and old age, my tires never made it to a year before needing to be replaced I rode all the time so this is the first time I've ever had to think about the tires age

Input anyone?
            I would say the people that "told" you these things have a little bit of reading up and experiancing to do.

Comment

Stick with the Spitfires I say.I've tried a few different types but keep coming back . They wear well , feel "planted" and have never felt "loose" in the wet. You can (at least I do ) get them cheaper through a car tyre dealer than anywhere else. Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                Stick with the Spitfires I say.I've tried a few different types but keep coming back . They wear well , feel "planted" and have never felt "loose" in the wet. You can (at least I do ) get them cheaper through a car tyre dealer than anywhere else. Cheers,Simon.

Never ride in the rain these days unless I get caught.

Comment

Those sizes are correct.

The Avon AM26 RoadRiders are the most modern tires available, and they will transform the handling of this machine (in a good way -- it'll feel 100 pounds lighter). Highly recommended over the Bridgestone Spitfires, which are a very old design.

If you're doing track days or something, the Pirelli Sport Demons are also excellent, but they're softer and short-lived.

That stupid theory about not mounting up tires that are too sticky is just plain retarded. You want all the sticky you can get.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by nisom512 View Post
                    I would say the people that "told" you these things have a little bit of reading up and experiancing to do.

The guys at a local shop that I have been buying tires for the last 15 years tell me about the dangers of modern sport compound tires on a older bike. Funny thing is, same guys there the last 15 years.

Annual replacement came from advise a buddy of mine received from Freddy Spencer after he spent a day in his riding school.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

You want all the sticky you can get.

Amen to that brother!!

That's the direction I'm going. but I want to see if anyone knew these "issues" had roots or not.

Comment

The guys at a local shop that I have been buying tires for the last 15 years tell me about the dangers of modern sport compound tires on a older bike. Funny thing is, same guys there the last 15 years.

Annual replacement came from advise a buddy of mine received from Freddy Spencer after he spent a day in his riding school.
                        Annual replacement may be applicable for a track bike using race compound tires but a street driven GS is completely different.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Then they're idiots with experience in idiocy, but they're still idiots.

That's actually not a bad idea, in a couple of ways. First, you need to ride more if your tires last more than half a season. Whaddya doing, sitting around watching TV? RIDE MORE, DAMMIT! It's good for your skills, your bike, and your mental health.

Secondly, I have noticed that tires definitely feel and grip differently with time and heat cycles, even if they're not worn. Even if I had a vast fleet of motorcycles, I would personally never stretch a set of tires beyond two years, even if they're not worn. Three years is generally considered OK, and five or six years is right out.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

A valuable lesson learned from my weekend at the WV Rally. Don't install a Korean tire on the rear. I have a ChengSin on the back of one of my 1100s and a Kendra on the back of the other. Both felt greasy on even moderately damp roads. Either they're coming off my bikes or I will not ride on curvy wet roads with either bike.
                            Willie
                            Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                            '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                            '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                            '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

pirelli sport demons are good..... like has been said they make the old girls feels a lot younger on their feet

combine that with the fact they're stickier, you'll be able to replace em sooner and not worry about old tyres on yer ride too

and freddie spencer.... what does he know anyway... lol - he was a honda rider

Comment

Working...
                              X