Who knows tires???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like someone can't separate race tires from street tires

Race tires can only be heat cycled a low number of times before they "go off"

Street tires can be heat cycled until they are bald

The compound in your Bridgestones is no where near what MotoGP riders use

I don't think Freddy Spencer rides on the street
    Last edited by Big T; 08-05-2009, 10:42 AM.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Here's the way I see it, back in the day (mid 80's) on my CB900F and my brothers CB1100F we used to drag the hard parts of the bikes regularly, sometimes riding them right off the wheels, usually due to the said hard parts wanting to go further into the road, tires usually were not the problem. No one can tell me that ANY modern, high quality sport tire isn't sticky enough for these bikes (big GS's), I run BT45's, the only limits anymore are age, smarts and fear (not necessarily in that order). If you are dragging parts all the time, you're replacing your rubber often anyway, if not I think 5 yrs is probably OK as long as there are no cracks in them and they don't feel like plastic.

Too sticky? The only place I can see this being a problem is in very high speed sweepers where the obvious limitations of the frame and suspension are really noticed. Tires will only hold a flexing, tank slapping, high siding bike on the road for so long.

Ride smart, know your limitations and enjoy!

Comment

I hear what you are saying about dragging hard parts on these older bikes.
        Probably about 26 years ago, I had to take off my case guards because they were dragging. And that was with bad tires!
        I never felt safe with them on ever again! Just a little bit more lean and off you go!

Eric

Comment

Avon Road Rider, the rest is all bull****.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i have pro maxxis on a 79 750l and they are great. the only problem was the guy who ordred them liked to never tracked a set down. he said they were disconntinued. i put them on the middle of last season and they still have plenty of tread and grip. i guess they have about 5,000-6,000 mi on them from these slick, curvy wv roads and have held up. i can hit a wet kiss your but curve with 9% grade going 75-80mph and be confident. wish i could still get them. if you ever happen across some they would be worth the purchase.

Comment

Either the Avons or Sport Demons are excellent choices IMHO. I have run both on L models and as far as stickiness they seem very similar. The Avons seem to have a slightly pointier profile so they tend to "lean in" to corners slightly more than the Demons but after a few miles you will not notice it amymore. Dennis Kirk did have the Avons at some very good prices and they were shipping free since the order is over $ 100. They also had a 5 dollar "tire" surcharge but the set price was still less than $ 180 delivered to my door.
              82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
              81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
              83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
              06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
              AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

Originally posted by 67fire View Post
                I just replaced my Spitfires with Battelax BT-45's in a V compound, when renobruce comes over tomorrow I'll be giving them the test! They should be a little better. Hopefully last as long.

Eric
                That V on the sidewall has nothing to do with the tire compound. It is the speed rating, which means it can sustain a certain speed for a set time.
                usually the higher the rating the thinner the tread.

As for the tires causing the frame and such to flex, the frame and forks are going to flex on the GS bikes long before you come close to reaching the limits of today's sport tires. In fact, today's street tires are better than the GS bikes.
                Better not use them, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  Sounds like someone can't separate race tires from street tires

Race tires can only be heat cycled a low number of times before they "go off"

Street tires can be heat cycled until they are bald

The compound in your Bridgestones is no where near what MotoGP riders use

I don't think Freddy Spencer rides on the street

I know what your saying but keep in mind he is standing in front of a class with a bunch of street riders with street bikes talking about street riding while learning new skills on the track. He was also talking about modern sport tires on modern sport bikes. Take it for what it is.

Comment

Sunburn, try out these guys: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/
                    I got my tires in ONE day! They are in Oregon and the prices are cheap!
                    Free shipping over $75.00.

Eric

Comment

Dennis Kirk has the Avon Road riders listed at 154.98

Demons listed at $203.98

Seems like my main two choices.

I've always got my tires mounted where I purchased them. Internet purchase I guess you have to pay for mounting at some place?

Comment

I agree that most of the Avon, Bridgestones, Pirelli, etc will outhandle just about any of our GS's but the only tire I've found rated as a sport tire, not sport/touring, is the Dunlop 501. So, suck it up guys and do "Stupid Stuff Better With Dunlop". Actually the last set I had I managed about 7,000 miles on the rear but the front was almost due for replacing at the same time so I changed both. The new ones are actually made in the USA, the previous set I think were made in France.
                        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                        https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Are these what you are looking for? They are under $170 each with free shipping!

Eric

Comment

What are you guys (80 1100 (I have 1150 wheels though)) using?
                            I am having difficulty finding 140 rear.

~M
                            :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                            Past:73' CL360, 74' CB450, 80' GS550,
                            83' CB550SC, 78' CX500, 81' GL1100,
                            85' GL1200LTD, 85' Honda Rebel
                            84' GS1150, 92' GSX 1100G
                            Current:
                            80' GS1100E,,
                            81 Yamaha XS1100,
                            01' Bandit 1200
                            sigpic

Comment

I just mounted this up yesterday. Replaced a Perrelli MT 09 Match of the same size on my 83 1100E. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by stiksave View Post
                                I just mounted this up yesterday. Replaced a Perrelli MT 09 Match of the same size on my 83 1100E. We'll see how it goes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
                                No clearance or profile-distortion issues with running the 140's, Stiksave?

I replaced the worn Sport Demon rear tire with an Avon RR.....I think it's every bit as good as the Pirelli, priced better, and supposedly lasts longer as well, by all accounts.

Tony.
                                '82 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                                X