Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS300L Start Issues

Hi All,
    Thanks to BassCliff and all the others who helped with my previous problem....here's the new one!

I had the bike out yesterday and rode it with no problems for 10 + miles home from where we had repaired the petcock earlier. I was super excited that I had actually gotten to ride the bike for a real distance. This morning when I went to start 'er up the engine wouldn't turn over. It made a few feeble efforts at turning over but it just wouldn't catch. After hitting the start button several times I figured that it was out of juice so I hooked it up to the charger. It's a new battery so I'm wondering if it's a problem with ground and the battery losing charge somewhere. Everything is taped down though so I'm not sure thats the problem. The lights all light up brightly so I know it's gotta have a decent amount of power in the battery.

Also,
    I'm not sure if this is covered elsewhere, but what is the proper position to leave the petcock in when not running. I had left it in the PRI position overnight and wonder if this is the problem. Does it send too much fuel to the carbs and cause difficult starting? Could that be the cause of my start issue this morning? If so, what do I need to do to prevent this and what do I need to do to make the problem go away? If it was flooded out do I just hafta wait a while until it's ready to try to fire up again?

Thanks,.
    L3X

Originally posted by L3X1V0R3 View Post
    Hi All,
    Thanks to BassCliff and all the others who helped with my previous problem....here's the new one!

I had the bike out yesterday and rode it with no problems for 10 + miles home from where we had repaired the petcock earlier. I was super excited that I had actually gotten to ride the bike for a real distance. This morning when I went to start 'er up the engine wouldn't turn over. It made a few feeble efforts at turning over but it just wouldn't catch. After hitting the start button several times I figured that it was out of juice so I hooked it up to the charger. It's a new battery so I'm wondering if it's a problem with ground and the battery losing charge somewhere. Everything is taped down though so I'm not sure thats the problem. The lights all light up brightly so I know it's gotta have a decent amount of power in the battery.

Also,
    I'm not sure if this is covered elsewhere, but what is the proper position to leave the petcock in when not running. I had left it in the PRI position overnight and wonder if this is the problem. Does it send too much fuel to the carbs and cause difficult starting? Could that be the cause of my start issue this morning? If so, what do I need to do to prevent this and what do I need to do to make the problem go away? If it was flooded out do I just hafta wait a while until it's ready to try to fire up again?

Thanks,.
    L3X
    First, put the petchock on - on, not prime. Prime is for filling the carbs if they are empty.

Second, it was confusing reading the electrical information. Were you able to turn the bike over with the starter after hooking up the battery charger?

Comment

never leave the petcock on prime, you might find yourself with a flooded crankcase, gas in the oil, or gas in the airbox.

always run the bike on on. Prime is used for if you have let the bike sit a little bit, or you think you might need to, to fill up the float bowls. Prime is never used when the bike is running. only on and reserve.

Comment

OK...I got it running ok again....it was indeed the petcock that had allowed fuel into the crankcase....just had to wait a lil' bit and it ran fine....whoopee!! back on the road.

Comment

Working...
        X