No Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Start

Well boys and girls here's another lovely thread about how my bike wont start. Lets get straight to business.
    Its a 1981 Gs750E 18,000 miles.
    I've owned it since march, and i bought it from griffin here on the forum.
    Since i got it home its had trouble with the blinkers not blinking properly, at first it was the left front, while the rest of the blinkers worked, then it was the right front while the rest worked, now only the back blinkers turn on, but its steady, not blinking. The low and high-beams work properly, as do the rest of the gauges, with the exception that the speedometer likes to bounce lightly. I let it sit for about two months, while we got proper license plates. I tried to start it two weeks ago, only to discover that the battery needed charging. So i charged it and it eventually fired up. I kept it on charge when i wasn't riding it, and it started up fine as long as i did that. I've noticed that when the bike is warming up it does little backfires, which i would assume is normal for an aircooled motor since they run a little rich usually. Today the bike wont start at all, there was a second there where it fired up but it immediately died. There is fresh gas. I checked the spark plugs and they look good. I tried getting spark out of one of the plugs, and i didnt get anything. the fuel lines are clear, the engine is un-modded, leaks a little bit of oil out of the timing chain adjuster and a little from the valve cover. I pulled the gas tank off and noticed that one of the coil packs (the left hand side one) was black and didnt fit quite right, so i would guess that is a coil pack from a honda or something, and the one of the right side is a cream color and looks like dinosaurs made it (which i would guess is an oem one). The spark plug that i tried to get spark from was the very last one on the right hand side of the bike. I need to get a voltmeter and start testing everything before i start replacing everything. Anyone have any suggestions of where to go from this point?

-ryan

Get a VOM and check for voltage at the coils. You may want to consider the coil relay mod. Make sure battery is fully charged. I would also go through and clean every electrical connector on the bike from headlight bucket to tail light. Go through the stator paper to verify that your stator and R/R are working correctly. Replace any components that are bad. I upgraded the coils and wires on my bike with accel components because the original ones were marginal.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
      Get a VOM and check for voltage at the coils. You may want to consider the coil relay mod. Make sure battery is fully charged. I would also go through and clean every electrical connector on the bike from headlight bucket to tail light. Go through the stator paper to verify that your stator and R/R are working correctly. Replace any components that are bad. I upgraded the coils and wires on my bike with accel components because the original ones were marginal.
      They all need it...

Comment

yeah i started going through the stator papers earlier, and searched through the forums to see if anyone else has had this problem. I just got it to start up, and rode it around for about 5 min, im going to replace the battery asap hopefully thats the only thing wrong with it.

Comment

im going to replace the battery asap hopefully thats the only thing wrong with it.
          Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

From what you described you've got some serious electrical disturbances going on. The stators and r/r on these bikes are known weak points. Mine quit working with only 12k miles on the bike. Take the time and check your electrical system.

Comment

Working...
          X