Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak.....minor drips, just annoying

Hey guys

I have a 1982 GS750E, 16 valve motor. I am having the dreaded oil leak in the near front center inverted head bolt. And if the bike sits for a few days it acually drips on the driveway. I looks like it is coming from just above the bolt, and running down.

Now I have done the research, and everyone talkes about the o-rings on the center acorn head nuts, and how it fixes the problem

Now in my other reasearch I have found that those bolts are under the valve cover, and I am just wondering how they can cause an external oil leak, when they are sealed in the valve cover and not exposed to the outside of the engine. Or am I having a brain fart, and not looking at the right bolts.

When I look at the center of the valve cover up close I see no bolts other than the ones inbetween 1&2, and 3&4 and they are dry.

Just curious what am I missing here?

Thanks
    Cameron

Any Ideas?.....I know I am not the only one who has had this problem before

Thanks
    Cameron

Comment

Tach

I haven't thought about it real hard but are you sure it's not coming from your tach cable connection?? If so, it's a cheap and easy fix.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Tach cable, and valve cover gasket are clean, and dry......it's coming from head area....

Duro

Comment

Bummer

That's too bad. You might be able to loosen up your head bolts and re-torque them. It might work and it might not (depending upon what's going on) but I think it would definitely be worth a try. Good luck and let us know what happens!

Comment

I may try that, I just changed the oil and put the regular dino Suzuki 10W40 oil back in the bike, as I know now that it's not accually over heating, and it's just the guage. I have no further need for synthetic oil, as I change it often. Maybe the leak will stop with the dino oil back in

Any more suggestions?, what are these o-rings everyone talks about and where are they?

Duro

Comment

Oil

Great! Give it a hundred miles, or so, with your new oil and report back. You might just be OK, especially since you may not know exactly what was in there before... I hope so!

Comment

Working...
              X