1982 GS650 new to me :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS650 new to me :)

i just got this bike yesterday it was not a pretty sight... now after being up for 48 hours making her work as best as i know, i have some questions for you guys.
    this bike was last started it 2004 so im happy i seen life so far. she may not be pretty but she will be soon or at least a great winter project
    • i rebuilt the carbs and set to specs and it started up but cylinder 3 is not working and the others got very hot very quick, and it has a very loud knocking sound coming from it(my step dad said it sounds like a lifter tommorow ill make a quick video of the sound and see if it helps.
    • in the trying to un stick the chokes i broke the tab of one but it didnt affect it but is that horrible.

thanks in advanced
    Jesse

Adjust the valves. did you replace the intake boot o-rings? also the o-rings in the carbs?
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

Jesse,

You say you broke off the choke tab. "tab" on one of the carbs? "tab" on the choke lever on the handle bars?

Thanks for posting pictures.
      I see the engine case emblems are missing. And it looks like the left side engine case is scrapped up (although my monitor is kinda dark and cant see too well) where the engine emblemis missing. Do I see that correctly?
      Is the top of the tank a bit faded? Is the front fender have a crack right in front of the fork brace?
      (Strange questions, I know, but you can quess why I am asking. Can also look at my webpage.)
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

If you've only had the bike a couple of days, then you couldn't have done a proper carb rebuild. Each carb body must be completely disassembled& soaked in carb dip for at least 24 hrs ... that would take 4 days right there.

There's no getting around doing the carb cleaning the right way & if you short cut it you'll be asking questions like "it started up but cylinder 3 is not working..."

Also, as Kparkfan points out, a valve adjust is a must.

Cover the basics completely & then go from there.
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

cool bike, great project.
          The loud knock..... well a "loud" knock that sounds like it is coming from the top is most likely a rod knock. A little less than a loud knock is probably cam end float. The valves if they are too loose will just create a tap..... but they usually get tighter over time.

The one cylinder that is not getting hot is most likely carb related... rebuilding the carbs is an exact science and you have to give proper attention to every single part of each carb. I bet you have a clogged pilot jet.

good luck with it... post what you find out..

Comment

Originally posted by kparkfan View Post
            Adjust the valves. did you replace the intake boot o-rings? also the o-rings in the carbs?
            im planning on adjusting the valves here today, i replaced the boot orings and orings in the carbs

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            Jesse,

You say you broke off the choke tab. "tab" on one of the carbs? "tab" on the choke lever on the handle bars?

Thanks for posting pictures.
            I see the engine case emblems are missing. And it looks like the left side engine case is scrapped up (although my monitor is kinda dark and cant see too well) where the engine emblemis missing. Do I see that correctly?
            Is the top of the tank a bit faded? Is the front fender have a crack right in front of the fork brace?
            (Strange questions, I know, but you can quess why I am asking. Can also look at my webpage.)
            each carb has a choke slider on it i broke off the tab on carb one i controll it by hand now its fine. could this be your old bike? it seems like all you say is what i see???
            Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
            If you've only had the bike a couple of days, then you couldn't have done a proper carb rebuild. Each carb body must be completely disassembled& soaked in carb dip for at least 24 hrs ... that would take 4 days right there.

There's no getting around doing the carb cleaning the right way & if you short cut it you'll be asking questions like "it started up but cylinder 3 is not working..."

Also, as Kparkfan points out, a valve adjust is a must.

Cover the basics completely & then go from there.
            i soaked each carb for 30 minutes in berrymans chem-dip, cylinder 3 isnt firing but all carbs filled up properly with gas and were set to specs, valve cover is comming off in a few minutes to take a look.
            Originally posted by Bribird View Post
            cool bike, great project.
            The loud knock..... well a "loud" knock that sounds like it is coming from the top is most likely a rod knock. A little less than a loud knock is probably cam end float. The valves if they are too loose will just create a tap..... but they usually get tighter over time.

The one cylinder that is not getting hot is most likely carb related... rebuilding the carbs is an exact science and you have to give proper attention to every single part of each carb. I bet you have a clogged pilot jet.

good luck with it... post what you find out..
            it is a loud knock i will make a video here in a few minutes but i will take the carbs back off and check them especially #3 which isnt firing.

i will let everyone know how it goes thanks for the help so far
            Jesse
            Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2009, 02:04 PM.

Comment

30 minutes soak time in Berryman's isn't near enough to clean out all those small idle & choke circuit passages, a good 24 hrs per carb baody minimum is needed to get the job done right...

In addition, you have to spray through all the passages with carb spray & compressed air, as well as poke them with a small dia wire to verify they're clean & clear. The choke tube (long brass tube) is a common cuplit for being clogged.

I know you're anxious to get riding but if you don't get the carbs squeaky clean then it'll never run right & you'll be chasing lots of symptoms.

Good luck, keep us osted on your progress...

Mike
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Hmmmmmmm....a loud knock from #3 cylinder. Now where have I heard that before?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_17954 View Post
                  Hmmmmmmm....a loud knock from #3 cylinder. Now where have I heard that before?

LOL!!!, too funny. So have you got it all worked out there Dave?

Comment

Yep, especially after sitting for five years, 30 minutes in "the dip" is not nearly enough.

I learned that lesson on my first set of carbs. They had been sitting for less than a year. I followed the directions on the can that said "dip for 15 to 30 minutes", so I dipped them for the max. Put the carbs back together ans was greatly disappointed to find NO improvement. I figured "what the heck, I'll dip them for two full hours". Again, no improvement. Then I got desperate and did them for a full day each. Actually about 23 hours, allowing for an hour of rinsing off and transferring another set of parts into 'the dip'. The difference was AMAZING. I have since ammended my carb dipping procedure to say "dip each body for 15 to 30 HOURS", not minutes.

Oh, when you reassemble the carbs, be sure to use all new o-rings from cycleorings.com. If you used "carb rebuild kits", take those parts out, put your original parts back in (after dipping them, of course) and install the new o-rings.
                    The only part of the "kits" that is usually useable is the bowl gasket, but there have been problems with them, too.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i adjusted the valves and soaked each carb for 4 hours and there clean. but still a knocking sound valves are right even took out the cams and removed the top of the lifters and there all alright but still a loud knocking?? the bike starts super fast like a tap on the starter, im still down the cylinder so im thinking some how the cylinder isnt getting gas other than carbs

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse002100 View Post
                        could this be your old bike? it seems like all you say is what i see???
                        ..............Jesse

Likley not. What are the odds anyway. And I had replaced the stock seat with a travecade seat cover.

More details (and Pics) in PM that I sent earlier.

But now I see your further posting where you say...
                        ... you saw front fender cracked in front of fork mount?
                        ... you saw scrapes on right engine case where emblem should be?
                        ... you saw top of tank somewhat faded?
                        ... you say it sat for 5 year. I sold mine in 2002 or 2003.

Hum... maybe should check into this further. Take a look at my PM and we can go from there.

Last edited by Redman; 08-08-2009, 04:16 AM.
                        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Does it seem like the knocking sound is coming from the same cylinder that isnt firing??

I was starting to think a valve was possibly stuck open...valve to piston contact = knock + no compression = not firing.. But you said you checked all the valves...

I would bet your knock and the no fire cylinder are both the same problem... cracked piston skirt, wrist pin came out, something like that.

Do a compression test on the on the motor.

Comment

My original tapping sound was caused by lines in the cyclinder from when the rings that were stuck for a time but not rusted fast and a worn conrod bearing #4. You say you removed the cams... did you get the timing set properly on the reinstall? Turn the motor by hand (clockwise)using the 19mm wrench on the governor adance bolt and see if you feel anything abnormal (remove all the plugs first). After that roll each piston to just barely past tdc and use a wood dowell rod to push down on the top of the pistons. This will check for loose conrod bearings (speaking from experience on this one ). Is the cylinder not firing getting spark? Might want to trim back the plug boot wires to be sure your getting a good connection. If its making a knocking noise I'd try and run it the least amount as possible to avoid possibly ruining other parts (again speaking rom experience there ). keep us up to date

Comment

Working...
                            X