Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All gears will not engage?

What's up Gang?

I have a 83 gs1100e. I just changed the clutch, but it will not go into any gear. It feels like it's in nuetral in every gear. I adjusted the clutch cable according to the service manual but still not going into gear. Can someone give me some help because I am going crazy trying to figure this out?

Thanks, Supavert

Try this:
    - Bike on center stand
    - With engine off, detach clutch cable
    - Put bike in 1st gear
    - Try to turn the back wheel by hand

Wheel turns? -> Clutch not installed correctly or bike not in gear (try next gear)

Wheel turns not/very hard to turn? -> Clutch cable was to tight, the clutch was slipping. Try readjusting

just my .o2
    -blo

Comment

Originally posted by Supavert View Post
      What's up Gang?

I have a 83 gs1100e. I just changed the clutch, but it will not go into any gear. It feels like it's in nuetral in every gear. I adjusted the clutch cable according to the service manual but still not going into gear. Can someone give me some help because I am going crazy trying to figure this out?

Thanks, Supavert
      did you remove the basket and or inner hub to service the clutch?
      maybe you installed some of the clutch parts in the wrong order..
      thrust washer/shims ect...
      or else..
      when you reinstalled the basket you didnt get the oil pump gear engaged in the rear.
      theres several things that may not be correct that would cause the problem your describing..

Comment

The shifter shaft may have become disenegaged on the clutch side. It has big teeth that mesh with other big teeth.
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

What's up Gang?

I took the clutch out again and I made sure that it was in the correct way. I adjusted the clutch again acoording to the service manual. Like I said before it does not catch in any gear. When I had the clutch cover off, I grabbed the gear shift lever and I could see it go into gear but it didn't feel right because you could shift so easy. What I'm trying to say is that there was no resistance. Should I check the gearshift parts or does anyone think that it's the trans? Before all of this happened the gears shifted fine.

Thanks for all of you guys input.

Supavert

Comment

if it worked fine before you took it apart......
            you did something wrong.
            dont over think this.
            back up and go over it piece by piece.
            i asked a couple questions in my earlier post that you didn't answer.
            if you would like to address those questions than maybe i can help.
            i hate typing.

Comment

Working...
            X