Screws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screws?

I am going to be taking off my LH Engine Case Cover from my 79 550 to do some work behind there, and I want to replace my screws with Hex head Bolts. Anyone know what size I should get? Bike Bandit says there are three different sizes on that Case Cover. 2 screws @ 6X45, 1 screw @ 6X35, and 6 screws @ (Blank). I have no idea what size these six screws are. In fact I have no idea what 6X45 or 6X35 are. Is this 6mm X 35mm? if I go to a place like fastenal, will they know what to give me for these? Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you don't have a size a fastener store won't be any help. I don't know about the 550, but the larger bikes have a bunch of 20 and 25mms. If you pull them out one at a time you can measure them and put together a list to buy. Remember the head of the fastener is not a part of the length measurement. Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo76 View Post
      I am going to be taking off my LH Engine Case Cover from my 79 550 to do some work behind there, and I want to replace my screws with Hex head Bolts. Anyone know what size I should get? Bike Bandit says there are three different sizes on that Case Cover. 2 screws @ 6X45, 1 screw @ 6X35, and 6 screws @ (Blank). I have no idea what size these six screws are. In fact I have no idea what 6X45 or 6X35 are. Is this 6mm X 35mm? if I go to a place like fastenal, will they know what to give me for these? Any help is greatly appreciated.
      I got a whole kit for my GS750 from Z1enterprises. Check it out....

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

I have about half of them installed. Really cleans it up. The microfice is great if you forget which bolt goes where.
      David
      1998 Suzuki Bandit
      1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
      1978 GS1000 - gone
      1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

If you don't want to take the cover off before you get the proper screws just remove one of the unknown length screws, measure it, then put it back in. Make sure you have an impact driver to remove them before you totally ruin the heads. I think they made them from old cheese or something similiar.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

See post #5 here.....

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thanks all for your help! I used one of your links and found the right screw. Now if I can find out where Fastenal moved to! Ugh! Appreciate the help guys!

Comment

Working...
            X