Motorcycle class and Engine rebuilding:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcycle class and Engine rebuilding:

So, as i mentioned in the members forum, i'm taking a Motorcycle Service, Maintenence, and Repair class at my college. If it is anything like many of the classes in that department, they encourage you to bring your own project in to do the work on. I want to learn how to rebuild a motor/split the cases/take the transmission apart etc etc. Now, My engine has around 25k on it, so i highly doubt it needs rebuilding, but am i correct in the assumption that it wouldn't hurt anything to break it down, replace all the gaskets, etc, clean it up and hone the cylinders? I would also need to replace the rings then, right?

any opinions and advice is very welcome.

thanks in advance, guys.

- Jared

Anytime you hone the cylinders it's a good idea to replace the rings. They're cheap.

Comment

I would definitely not tear down a running, not-leaking engine just because.

Surely there's someone near you with an engine that actually needs work.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I'd let you do mine, but.....

If you were closer to me, I'd let you do mine this winter. I've got 70k on it and the stupid Vesrah gasket kit I paid $125. for two years ago is seeping again. It had the wrong o-rings in the kit (for the two outer bolts) and I had to substitute some that fit it right. So, this winter, I'm pulling the head again, doing the whole job over, doing valve shims, and rebuilding the carbs so next year it should run awesome (hope).

Comment

I agree with Brian....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Surely you could find a cheapo, parts, non-running something or other in your area to get an A+ on in class..........even if it's just the engine. It certainly would be a bonus if you could find a complete junker and fix it up and then ride it.

And I didn't mean to call you Shirley..........
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            I would definitely not tear down a running, not-leaking engine just because.

Surely there's someone near you with an engine that actually needs work.
            well, if i understand how the class works correctly, it's not so much just because, but, for a grade. My thought was, they will probably have something there to work on, but i thought it might be interesting to see how my engine looks and works. i can see what you are saying, though.

unfortunatly(or fortunatly, except for this specific case), the two bikes i have, and the one i am about to get all three have motors that run perfectly fine.

Comment

In the interest of learning I don't think there is anything wrong with tearing down your 1100 engine. If you're going though all that work I'd replace all the seals, gaskets, piston rings, etc. Unfortunatley, even these ruidimentary parts will cost you $300 or so which obviously is not cheap.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                In the interest of learning I don't think there is anything wrong with tearing down your 1100 engine. If you're going though all that work I'd replace all the seals, gaskets, piston rings, etc. Unfortunatley, even these ruidimentary parts will cost you $300 or so which obviously is not cheap.
                ya.

i'm actually thinking hard about doing some resto work and paint on it too, and it's just a thought i had. the other option is, i have a 79kz400 with similar miles in similar condition i could work on, but i'm more likely to sell that bike, and since it runs fine now, it's harder for me to justify the rebuild on it.

Comment

Wonder how much it would cost to ship my bike from CA to MI?

Comment

Originally posted by R3DN1CK View Post
                    Wonder how much it would cost to ship my bike from CA to MI?
                    sure, if you don't want it i'll take it

Comment

Another option

Why not go to a mc salvage place and pick up an engine from a bike like yours, take it to class, rebuild it and then, when the class is over, have it in your garage when you eventually need it?

Comment

Working...
                      X