74 suzuki gt750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

74 suzuki gt750

I am thinking about buying a 74 suzuki gt750 "Water Buffalo"and i wanna know if they are a good bike or not.... They are selling it for $250.00 and it just needs the seat recovered and a new batt.. I don't know much about them at all just that it is a 2 stroke any info would help. Let me know what you think should i or not purchase... thank you

If I saw a GT 750 that only needed seat recovering and a battery for that money I'd snap it up.
    They're a quirky, water cooled, 2 stroke triple that are very pleasant to ride and easy enough to work on for the most part. A little heavy on fuel, but fast enough and handle well (for the year). However, if it's been lying up for any length of time it will probably need crank seals replacing which is a major job and will cost a lot. Original points ignition is troublesome too and is best replaced with with an aftermarket kit.

Comment

I had a '72 GT750. It was my first street bike actually back in '83. Mine was custom painted and was UGLY!! Had double leading shoe drum brakes on the front. I think the '74 had a disk. (lucky you). I really liked mine (except for the embarassing paint) they have automatic oil injection with a remote tank under the seat/sidecover. You'll want to make sure it is adjusted correctly, or disable it and pre-mix your gas to be absolutely sure. Very snappy for a big heavy old bike. Mine ran on 2 cylinders for a while before I realized it had a fouled plug. Thought I was getting around just fine, then noticed the cold pipe one day, swapped two of the plugs around and went for a ride, when that dead plug finally fired it felt like a rocket booster got lit. It would actually wheely pretty easy,(if you fanned the clutch). Just be prepared to be followed by a cloud of blue smoke.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2009, 06:26 PM.

Comment

The original drum brake model is far more valuable on this side of the Atlantic than the later disc models.
        Running these things on premix is a real bad idea. Cruising at small throttle openings on premix will lead to oil starvation and can seize the motor. Especially as being water cooled, these bikes run very tight clearances. Besides, 2 stroke pumps rarely if ever give trouble.
        Should have kept mine, like most of my bikes.

Comment

ok i bought the 74 Suzuki gt750 bike and need to know what front forks would interchange kinda like the crotch rocket style handlebars or whatever on a 74 Suzuki gt750 to make a cafe racer...well i'm sure you all know what i'm talking about....thank you

Comment

Don't ruin that bike by modifying it. It is a interesting piece of suzuki history. Leave it stock and ride it.

Comment

I remember seeing one out of England that I think was done in Skol Bandit green colours.Very tasty.It was in a classic bike mag.Perhaps one of our Pommy mates (only mates if they give us a bit of a go at them thar ashes ) could enlighten us. Cheers , Simon.
              http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

I remember the Skoal Bandit one. I'll dig the mag out and scan it, in the meantime feast your eyes on these:

Old

Newer

GS1000G

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                  Don't ruin that bike by modifying it. It is a interesting piece of suzuki history. Leave it stock and ride it.
                  GREAT ADVICE!!!

Comment

Thank you all!! I'm gonna leave it all stock... I will post some pic's of it later on... I do have another question though.. How would you polish the motor to give it that shine back? Thank You

Comment

I've had my '74 Buffalo for close to 30 yrs now. Its the longest I've owned any of my bikes. It started out the same metallic orange as the one in the pic. Take a look at my photo album for what it looks like now. I put larger carbs and expansion chambers on mine and the sound it makes when on the pipe is soooo friggin nice. I suggest that you join a forum for Suz Triples. Smokeriders is a good one. I haven't found one containing as much info as GSR but they're great for contacts. Speaking of contacts, pun intended, ditch the point ignition for a CDI unit. Plugs will last yrs instead of months. Feel free to PM me for additional info.
                      Willie
                      Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                      '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                      '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                      '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Have a look at the kettle club site - some pretty neat standard and 'not-so-standard' bike on there:

79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer
                        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Good old bikes, I'd like to find another good one.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

74 suzuki gt750

Crankshaft seals are the big thing to check because of the labor and expertise required to do correctly. $$$$. The steering bearings and swingarm are the next things to check on your list. Use aluminum engine antifreeze[silicate free] in the radiator. I used synthetic 2 stroke oil in mine and it knocked the gray smoke down but not out. Like others have said check out the Suzuki 2 stroke sites. They have excellent resources from all over the world. The engine is very durable but has its quirks. The bike is a touring bike not a sport bike so don't expect wheelies- just a good long ride. Your biggest problem will be the age of the bike and finding parts but they are about the coolest bikes in the world .

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
                              I've had my '74 Buffalo for close to 30 yrs now. Its the longest I've owned any of my bikes. It started out the same metallic orange as the one in the pic. Take a look at my photo album for what it looks like now. I put larger carbs and expansion chambers on mine and the sound it makes when on the pipe is soooo friggin nice. I suggest that you join a forum for Suz Triples. Smokeriders is a good one. I haven't found one containing as much info as GSR but they're great for contacts. Speaking of contacts, pun intended, ditch the point ignition for a CDI unit. Plugs will last yrs instead of months. Feel free to PM me for additional info.
                              Willie
                              EXPANSION CHAMBERS!!!! Please make a recording to a file if you can and add it to a post. To this day I can still remember the sound of my brother's GT550 with stock exhaust when he would give the throttle a good twist. And when he would let me ride it with him on the back he would poke me saying "you don't have to rev it when going through the gears!"
                              1983 GS1100E owned since 1992. SOLD! :cry:
                              1990 RM250L since 1989.
                              1986 XR250R since 1987. SOLD!
                              1968? Suzuki B100P. SOLD!!!
                              2 1992 XR100R's since 1995? for wife and daughter.(Just sold one 12/26/2016)
                              1993 Z50R for other daughter but about to sell since she has out grown it. SOLD!!!
                              2002 DRZ400S 12/04/10 SOLD!
                              2006 DR650SE since May 2012
                              2005 DL1000K5 since January 2013
                              Green is just another color.

Comment

Working...
                              X