Bad Rectifier? How to tell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Rectifier? How to tell

Recently the main fuse has been blowing....obviously a short somewhere! I have check over everything and sealed up as best I can anything that might be causing the problem. SO I go and start the bike up (with new fuse) and it runs for about a minute then blew a fuse again.

I happened to be near the R/R and it smelled like somthing was burning and it felt REALLY REALLY hot. NOT SURPRISED!! Looking at the backside where there's an expoy resin, it looks as if little beads of solder are pushing through from the inside out.

To me this is a sure sign the rectifier is bad, but what's your take?

If its bad, im ordering the electrix rectifier ASAP so does anyone have the companie's number/website and part numbers for an 85 GS550L. Aside from the rectifier, what else should I replace? As far as im aware, the stator is fine.

Thanks Much (again),
    Al Conforti

Go to the Home Page and follow the link.

Comment

Good luck

Let us know what you find out, Al, and good luck...I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Sounds like you fried the regulator. DIsconnet the wires and tape them. recharge the battery and take it for a ride see if the fuse blows. If the fuse still blows, there is a loose or bare wire somewhere. Pay patericular attention to the ign wiring comming out of the rt side of the engine Remove all of the fuses except the ign and try again if it still blows you need to check the ign wiring If it does not blow the fuse start replacing the fuses to determine which circuit is causing the problem. If you don't have problems with the fuse blowing it would probably just be the regulator. To contact Electrux go to the links page and click on the Electrux logo

Comment

after testing the r/r in accordance to the "stator papers" pages, it is definately toasted!

Electrix is getting a call this morning and they WILL drop ship me (overnight if I have to) a brandy new r/r

As for the fuses, I had done just that, pulled them all except the main to see if something else was overdrawing.....no luck!

Comment

No question about your R/R. Do NOT connect it to anything except a garbage can. Chuck it.

It is imperative that you do the stator test, in full, before installing a new R/R., and with no R/R attached when the test is done. I would also suggest you check the stator leads and harness up to the R/R. Their plastic insulation can easily reach the melt point, and it took a very high amperage draw to get hot enough to melt the solder in your R/R, so damage is at least possible.

When you install the new R/R, run a separate ground wire directly to the negative terminal on your battery. Cheapest security step you can take on your bike.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
            X