spark plugs and oil leak at plug base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spark plugs and oil leak at plug base

i've been having this recurring problem....oil seepage at the base of my left most spark plug. truth be told, i am unsure exactly where the oil is coming from.

i first noticed it early this spring. i fiddled around, and noticed that the spark plug was loose. huh. maybe that was the issue. i replaced the plug, and seemed like everything was fine, until today, i noticed some more oil. but this time, the plug was snug. and then, i walked over to the right side, and the right most plug was showing oil, and that plug was loose!

what is this, fellas? why are my plugs working loose? and would this be the cause of the oil?

i replaced both plugs, hand tight and then a smidge more.

There are no oil passages that would leak to the plug. The possibility would be for the oil to be coming up from the cylinders as there is oil coming down your valves. The second possibility isthe valve cover gasket is leaking.

Comment

If there is no other possible source for the oil then I would suspect a poor ring seal on that cylinder, possibly indicating worn or damaged piston or cylinder wall. This can lead to blowby as well as the opposite effect where oil vapor is sucked into the cylinder on overrun. If the plug gasket has had its compression capability fully used up, then re-torquing the plug might be enough. A bit of blowby could lubricate the threads and the gasket, allowing it to further loosen. Replacing the plug and properly torquing it will probably keep the oil contained in the cylinder from that point on, although it won't do anything to address the blowby itself. However, these tough old motors being what they are, it could probably just as well run forever that way. I'd replace the plug and try my luck.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2009, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Sounds like the spark plug threads are sketchy and you have a valve cover leak.
        Are you crushing the crush washers on the plugs?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I would have to guess that the leak is at the oil tubes between the cylinder head and the cylinders. I add a tiny bit of Hi-temp Ultra Copper around them.

Eric

Comment

thanks guys. the bike is running fine, and i really don't want to attempt getting into the engine just yet. i am such a mechanical newbie that such endeavors take weeks instead of hours. i have a gs450 engine sitting in my barn, and i think i'm gonna start taking it apart to learn what's in there. much of the terms you fellas use is chinese to me.

chef, how would i know if i crushed the washer? i've been tightening it by hand, and then a bit more with a wrench...maybe 1/16 of a turn.

Comment

that's not enough... the washer on the base of the plug is designed to crush on installation... tighten it til the "feel" changes

Comment

I cannot find the torque spec for the spark plugs but I believe that it is 12 Ft.Lbs.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                X