brake problem????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake problem????

Hey everyone, heres where im at with my 1980 gs 750. it was chopped out when i bought it and the rear brake master cylinder was mounted a little crooked so the push rod would push up into it crooked. it would still push up the cylinder so i didnt think it would be much of a problem but when i got it running the brake seemed to stick. i would bleed it and take it for a drive and a few miles in sometimes it would stick. so today i took apart the whole braking system to try and figure it out and the hose seemed to be free flowing and things seemed to be alright so i reassembled everything and now im stuck. basically pushing the brake does nothing to move fluid around which im assuming is a master cylinder problem. i can go through the bleeding process for hours and when i open the resivore not a drop has flowed through the lines. does this sound like the master cylinder? when i push the cylinder up and blow into where the resivore connects no air comes out anywhere, i dont know if its normal or not. any ideas on how to fix this (or even what it could be??)

also i heard you can get rebuild kits, where could i find one if thats the problem? thanks

Hey,

Have you tried to prime the MC after taking it apart? Just one stupid bubble in the MC can and WILL screw around with your head.

Prime the MC- take the hose off the caliper. raise the hose ABOVE the MC. Get a jar or some container with some new brake fluid in it. make sure the entire hose end with the banjo bolt attached is submerged. While pressing on the pedal, hopefully you'll notice bubbles coming to the top of the fluid in the jar. Obviously, bubbles are now being replaced with fluid.

Attach hose and continue to bleed to make sure the air is out of the caliper.

I just had to repair my front MC. How did the rubber inside look when you took it apart? Mine looked fine, but had actually expanded slightly so fluid couldn't come back to the resevoir. It doesn't sound like that your problems though.

I went to a local place for a rebuild, but bikebandit.com has OEM parts. Don't go with cheap aftermarket stuff with the brakes.

Kev

Comment

You can also prime it with a ketchup type squeeze bottle.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hmm..a chef would say that...

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by coolksprt View Post
          Hmm..a chef would say that...

Kev
          I learned it from a Kiwi.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X