Caliper & cylinder rebuild kits??? '77 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caliper & cylinder rebuild kits??? '77 GS550

Does anyone know where to get caliper and cylinder rebuild kits for a '77 GS550?? Just need the rubber boots really...

Please don't suggest Bike Bandit / Ron Ayers. They're no help at all. In fact, BB lists NO BIKES for '77 and only small displacement models for '78!! My dealer is playing dumb also.

'79 on had different calipers (square pads), so that's out...

<rant>

This is absurb -- there have to be maintenance parts available for these bikes!! I can get a NOS headlight adjustment screw for my '66 Norton, but I can't find disposable rubber bits for a bike made 10 years later in relatively staggering quantities!!

Sigh...

</rant>

My GS550E is a '79, and it has round pads. From what I remember from Clymer's (don't have it handy), the brakes changed along with everything else in '80.

Unfortunately, Bike Bandit doesn't list GSs for '79, either...

Comment

I have a 79' 850 with the puck pads and had a very hard time finding front calipers or even rebuild components for that matter. I used some parts I scavanged off of Ebay and a vary helpfull fellow GSer was able to hook me up with a complete pair. I just got lucky. When searching for brake parts the 80 and up bikes are quite easier to repair.

Comment

Please don't suggest Bike Bandit / Ron Ayers. They're no help at all. In fact, BB lists NO BIKES for '77 and only small displacement models for '78!! My dealer is playing dumb also.
        i hated BB too for a while, until i realized they have a '80 GS550 in the listing. select OEM, then pick 1980, and you'll get a digram for the bike then.

i hope it works for you.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
          Please don't suggest Bike Bandit
          i hated BB too for a while, until i realized they have a '80 GS550 in the listing. select OEM, then pick 1980, and you'll get a digram for the bike then.

i hope it works for you.

~Adam
          ....same here, I have a 77gs550 but had to use the 80 550 info, no sweat.........

Comment

Working...
          X