Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Carb/pod question, GS250

First off... I did search
    I'm currently working on my neighbor's GS250T which is running very poorly. As a little background, he purchased the bike last year and rode it around. He said it ran great till one day it just died. He took it to another friend who discovered that the petcock diaphragm was leaking and this was supposedly the source of the problem. He replaced the petcock with a new one from suzuki, replaced the plugs, and "cleaned" the carbs, and returned it. Upon return, the bike would spew gas from the left carb.
    Then I received the bike to work on. I replaced the needles (leaking), readjusted the float height, and completely re cleaned the carbs. I found a great deal of junk still left in them. EVERYTHING has now been cleaned... new o rings, no leaks, fuel level set properly (4mm below top of bowl), pilot screws set at 3.5 turns out (stock location on this bike as I had to drill the plugs out), stock jets.

Sorry this seams to be getting long but I find it best to give a little info up front to avoid the "how did you clean the carbs" questions. Anyway, onto the problem. It seams to be running very lean. It starts ok with some choke but any amout of throttle kills it off idle. If you coax it up to 4000 with the choke on full, the throttle just causes it to bog down. Someone at one time put uni foam pod filters on this bike. Now I know a lot of you are saying "well da, theres your problem... pods and stock jets" but I am confused as to why the owner would have said it ran great last summer with this same configuration and now it wont hardly run.

Is there something else besides carbs I should be looking at? Does everyone agree that I should just go back to the stock air box set up and that should clear things up? Could something else besides the petcock have went wrong last year when this bike misteriously just stopped running? Am I missing something here?

Thanks so much in advance for any help. You GSR'ers are such a great help!

Bet the foam filters were filthy and acting as a restriction which would richen it up nicely. Clean them and you lean it out.
    As a quick fix try reoiling the flters with heavy oil & see if this changes things.

Greg T

Comment

Hi Mr. atvpyrofreak,

Yep, sounds like it's still lean. Worst case scenario, if it's been running lean for too long there may be some burned valves. Have you checked the valve clearances or done a compression test? How clean is the tank? Is there a (restrictive) inline fuel filter? (I'm going to ask anway.) Are you sure the carbs are really, really clean? Has it been jetted properly for the pod filters? Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 08-07-2009, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Compression is 168 and 175. I haven't checked valves yet but probably will, although with that compression I doubt there off too far. Carbs ARE clean. No fuel filter. I'm using an aux tank right now for testing (proper size fuel line and vacuum line is plugged). I did a little test just a few min ago by taking the pods off and forming a little cup with my hands around the carbs and the throttle response did get better, leading me to believe that the that is indeed the problem.

I really like the idea that the filters were a bit cloged up and allowed it to run marginally well prior to any cleaning. My neighbor is a fairly conservitive rider and if he never really pushed the bike much, it may have seamed as if it was running "great".

Comment

is this the 8 valve gsx motor ? you'll have to remove the engine to re install the stock air box, if you can find one.

Comment

Never thought of that! Oh well, not that big of a deal, and it will probably be the best solution in the long run. I suppose it could be rejeted, but stock would be best.

Comment

Just as an update, I made some "restricters" out of some thin plastic and placed them inside the pods for now. It took a bit of trial and error to get the flow right, but the bike runs very well now. I have an air box ordered and it will be installed with a new filter once it arrives.

Thanks GSR!

Comment

Working...
              X