coil relay mod, relay question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coil relay mod, relay question

Ok, I decided to do the relay mod for my coils. (waiting for stator in the mail tap, tap, tap, tap must do something to bike LOL)

I was scavenging around my garage to see what wires and fuse holders I already have. I came across an old relay I forgot I had. It is from a car alarm system that never got installed. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it will work for the relay mod application? The 87/87 diagram looks a little different on the relay than in the pictures shown in the tutorial. Also the female end has a diode and a jumper wire between 86 and 30.
    here is the url to view pictures. I can only upload one picture on here for some reason.

Will these work for this mod?

Thanks,
    Marc
    Last edited by Guest; 08-07-2009, 07:04 PM.

Hi,

here is the url to view pictures. I can only upload one picture on here for some reason.
    That's because you need to use the proper procedure and "embed" or use the "image code" in your posts to link to the pictures at your online source. More information is on my website: Posting Pictures To GSR

You can use that relay. Just don't use the 87A terminal. There are pages and pages of relay mod information on my website too. You really don't even need the socket, but they are convenient. Just use female spade terminals on the connections into the wiring harness. The 87A terminal can be used if you ever wish to power another item directly from the battery.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 08-07-2009, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks BikeCliff,

I was looking for the proper way to upload/embed pics. I should have known it would be on your site LOL.

I got the tutorial to do the mod off of your website links.

I thought it would be convenient to use the female connector, since it already has all the 14awg wires coming off of it.

Should I remove the diode and jumper wire if I use the connector?

Thanks again,
      Marc

Comment

Originally posted by prpldude View Post
        Should I remove the diode and jumper wire if I use the connector?

Hmmmm,

I really should do some more research before I answer your question. I'm not really familiar with that style relay, but I would think the diode is there so that if you happen to connect two devices to 87/87A there will be no current flow from one device directly to the other. In other words, it keeps the current flowing from the battery to the devices and not "device to device".

Please wait for someone more well versed to answer that question, or pursue the documentation for that relay, before you modify the diode circuit. Sorry I can't be of more help.

BassCliff

Comment

Ok thanks again. ;0)
          I'll wait before I use or mod the female connector.

btw I fixed the pics.

Comment

leave the diode; it is there to protect the circuit that is driving the control coil.

Comment

btw I fixed the pics.
              Nice going! It really is a snap once you know how. I think it's easier than resizing/uploading an attachment.

BassCliff

Comment

posplayr, before you posted I was looking at the back of the female plug and the wires did not look like they were connecting to the ones I needed them to... sooooo... I moded the female plug and now it is they way it should be if it did not have the diode and jumper wire and connected to 87 not 87a. I should have waited (like bikecliff said) and asked you if the back of the plug looked correct to you. Thanks for your input, I know I didn't hurt anything but it might have been better the way it was LOL.

ok off to the garage to make the rest of the mods.

Thanks,
                Marc
                Last edited by Guest; 08-07-2009, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  You can use that relay. Just don't use the 87A terminal. ... The 87A terminal can be used if you ever wish to power another item directly from the battery.
                  You can use it but it will only power something straight off the battery if the key is OFF.

One possible use for that terminal is to connect your battery tender.

I'm not really familiar with that style relay, but I would think the diode is there so that if you happen to connect two devices to 87/87A there will be no current flow from one device directly to the other. In other words, it keeps the current flowing from the battery to the devices and not "device to device".
                  Actually, the diode is there to protect the circuit that feeds the relay.

When the trigger to the relay coil is turned OFF, there is a magnetic field that collapses and sends a spike back to the circuit. (This is the same principle that the coils use to fire the spark plugs, but on a smaller scale.) The diode prevents that spike.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Jim, Steve,

Thanks for the lesson.

I'll remember that next time.

BassCliff

Comment

I need to be more patient LOL (hopefully I have learned). and wait for answers. even though my female connector is still functional it's not as good as it was before I hacked it.

I have a question about some of the connections in the coil relay mod. I have two wires coming from the ignition/kill switch that are orange white that connect to a connector one wire goes the the fuse box and the other to the ignitor. the two o/w wires off of the coils must connect in the wire harness and connect to the ignitor. so does the ignitor get disconnected?
                      Here is what I was thinking disconnect the O/W wire that goes to the fuse box from the kill switch and connect it to 86, and 87 to the wire that comes out of the ignitor and connects to the coils. 30 to fuse and then to + on battery 85 to - on battery.

Does this sound right? Just leave the wire from the fuse box and ignitor disconnected?

not sure why I am having such a hard time following the relay mod instructions.

Thanks,
                      Marc

Comment

Hi,

Even though each coil has its own orange/white wire feeding 12v, they are functionally the same, or one, wire.

When I added the coil relay mod I cut both orange/white wires under the tank. I put a spade connector on the pair of wires leading to the coils. I did the same for the pair of wires leading back into the wiring harness (toward the kill switch). The orange/white wires leading to the coil get connected to terminal 87 on the relay. The orange/white wires going back into the loom get connected to terminal 86 on the relay. Terminal 30 gets connected directly to the battery through a fuse. Terminal 85 gets connected to ground.

BassCliff

Comment

I was making this way harder than it needed to be. I figured they all needed to be seperated out (except the two going to the coils. I did know they both went to 87) it was the ones going into the harness that had me confused.

TY again for your help BikeCliff.

Comment

I was making this way harder than it needed to be. I figured they all needed to be seperated out (except the two going to the coils. I did know they both went to 87) it was the ones going into the harness that had me confused.

TY again for your help BikeCliff.

I know exactly what you mean. I was a little concerned when I started cutting wires on my wiring harness. But then the light went on.

All you're doing is cutting the voltage wires to the coils and then reconnecting them through the relay, so to speak. Connect the other relay terminals to the battery and ground. Easy like pie. I should have taken pictures. Sorry.

BassCliff
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2009, 03:42 PM.

Comment

All you're doing is cutting the voltage wires to the coils and then reconnecting them through the relay, so to speak. Connect the other relay terminals to the battery and ground.

Some like it that way

Comment

Working...
                              X