coil relay mod, relay question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post

I know exactly what you mean. I was a little concerned when I started cutting wires on my wiring harness. But then the light went on.

All you're doing is cutting the voltage wires to the coils and then reconnecting them through the relay, so to speak. Connect the other relay terminals to the battery and ground. Easy like pie. I should have taken pictures. Sorry.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    you know, you can get away with cutting no wires at all, and then if your relay fails and you don't happen to bring one with you, can you simply return it to stock and remove the inline fuse so that the mod harness isn't recieving any power.

at least, thats what i did.

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
      you know, you can get away with cutting no wires at all, and then if your relay fails and you don't happen to bring one with you, can you simply return it to stock and remove the inline fuse so that the mod harness isn't recieving any power.

at least, thats what i did.
      I came up with a contingency plan too.

Should my relay fail and I find myself without a replacement, I have two ways to return to the stock circuit, one a little quicker than the other.

I fashioned a little jumper wire with two male spade connectors on each end. I can use it to reconnect the wires to the coils by removing those connections from the relay under the right side cover and inserting the jumper.

Under the tank where I cut the 12v coil wires, I put a male connector on one side and a female connector on the other. So I could also lift the tank, disconnect the wires running to the relay, and just plug the coil wires back in the way they were originally.

I thought about modifying the molex connector under the tank. I still might do that if I ever get bored out in the garage.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2009, 05:26 PM.

Comment

I am not trying to keep my bike stock, and I don't mind cutting wires. I have changed the mirrors (still looking for some short black ones), brake light, and blinkers. I am in the process of converting gauge lights to LED's. Who knows maybe someday when I have money I will take her back to stock. But for now I want a bike to ride with nice bright lights, good charging system and nice spark.
        I like the jumper wire idea "just in case". Thanks. I'll add that to my "on bike" tool kit.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2009, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X