Shrink Tube in Fuel Tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrink Tube in Fuel Tank?

Hey guys, haven't been 'round much in the last couple years but I've still been riding regularly. Since rebuilding most of my bike, it just hasn't had any problems that necessitated me logging on to the forums here!

Anyway, I finally decided to get my spare tank painted, got it back today and was debating using the fuel gauge from my old one or just cleaning up the one that came with the tank I bought from fleabay years back. Decided to take apart the fleabay gauge & it cleaned up pretty nice.

I tested it & the resistance falls within the specs outlined in my Clymers but the old wire covering that is (was?) on the lead wire is falling apart so I was thinking about taking my smallest diameter heat shrink wire wrap & covering the wire with it. Does anyone know offhand if this shrink tubing is safe to sit in the tank, submerged in fuel for another (hopefully ) 30 years?

BTW, been lurking over the last month & forgot how nice this forum was. Thinking I should drive down to the meet & bask in a little GS comraderie
    Last edited by Guest; 08-07-2009, 07:56 PM.

Whoops - didn't realize this year's rally was in California... guess I won't be joining...

Comment

Welcome. err Back.

On the shrink tube, if it is compatable with todays fuel, which has a bit of ethanol in the mix in most urban areas, and no telling what type of fuel we will need/have to use 25-30 years down the road for these machines.

As for an insulation, one that has good resistance to the hydrocarbons in todays fuel would be ideal. FKM (viton) works well, if there is shrink tubing in this material, suppose the Chem Es can fill us in on that one.

Eric

Comment

Im not shure of what type of plastic shrink tube is made from. You could put some gas in a clear glass container and drop a piece of shrink tube in and let it sit for a day or two. If it survives, ill bet your good 2 go.
        Gearhead

Comment

Originally posted by shamer View Post
          Whoops - didn't realize this year's rally was in California... guess I won't be joining...
          That's the western rally

Check on Fennimore - that's closer to you, as is Brown County
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by GearHead View Post
            Im not shure of what type of plastic shrink tube is made from. You could put some gas in a clear glass container and drop a piece of shrink tube in and let it sit for a day or two. If it survives, ill bet your good 2 go.
            Gearhead
            Yanno, a few months ago I would have agreed with you, but I found out a bit differently on the timeline thing. I wanted to use a piece of plexiglass as my sight glass in the front master. I dropped it in brake fluid overnight - no problems. I installed and a couple of weeks later the darn thing crystalized and fell out. It's a good thing none of the plastic was installed or I might have ruined my paint.

As far as the tubing goes - I don't know for sure.

Comment

heatshrink tubing

Supposedly the dual wall heatshrink tubing available from almost any auto parts store is rated for gasoline exposure according to the product specs, but I have yet to test this out. I think the gas in a jar dip test should tell the tale. If I can remember to, I will drop some in a jar and let you know.

Comment

Thanks, guys.

The stuff I have is rated for gasoline exposure, I Just wasn't sure if that meant long term exposure. Kinda like water resistance vs. water proof, ya'know?

Comment

The effect of gasoline on many plastics can only really be gauged with a very long-term test.

Some plastics are fine in the shorter term, but only change their properties over a number of years of immersion.

You are better off doing some research on the WWW to find some tubing or wire that is definitely billed as fuel-proof (and not merely 'resistant').

Comment

You may be better off with a silicone based liquid electric tape. Silicone is fuel resistant and as long at you let it dry fully, you will fine. Youll just have to check the ingredients on the back of each brand to see.

Comment

Silicone is fuel resistant
                      Sorry, but I don't agree. I've often used petrol to remove silicone from metal surfaces; leave it soak for a few minutes and it disintegrates nicely.

Comment

Working...
                      X