Power/fuel/drivability problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power/fuel/drivability problem

OK, to set the stage, the bike ran great up to a week ago. Then it rained wait, that is not quite right, more like MONSOON RAIN and since then:
    1. when I get it open to 3/4 throttle, she stumbles
    2. if I hold it at better than 6 grand for any length of time she stumbles
    3. my fuel usage has gone from 8-9litres every 200km to 12litres every 200km
    So I am going to start tearing into it tomorrow, I suspect that there is a lot of water in the airbox. But I am unsure as I haven't inspected it yet, no time.
    Pull the plugs to check their condition.
    Check the petcock to see if it is leaking into the carbs. There is no gas in the oil, so it isn't there. I looked in the tank and it is spotless,the filter on the petcock is pristine. So I can't imagine there is a pile of crud camping out there or in the screens in the carbs.

Anybody got any other ideas?

Pull your air filter and ring it out, then wash it, oil it and reinstall it. Check your plug boots to make sure they're not trashed. I, just this season, got caught in a HORRIBLE rain storm like you're speaking of. Raining sideways, and coming down in SHEETS. Went out to start the bike to get the hell out of there (didnt look on the radar like it was going to let up any time soon, so i said screw it and donned the rain gear) Fired the bike up, ran like crap. I have pods, so I assumed it was them being wet.. Running on three cylinders. I hoped that as it warmed up (the rain was damn cold too) it would smooth out. Left the choke on and headed off, it didnt seem to want to warm up and smooth out sitting... A five mile run from my parents to my house took me damn near a half hour. Bike ran on three all the way home, wouldnt idle off choke...it was a mess. I couldnt believe what the hell was happening. Id run it in rain storms before, never had this problem. SO i get home finally, back it into the shop and start looking for causes. By now the motor was pretty warm, and dry, so it should have been running better. Went to pull the plugs and see if somehow id fouled one or something. Just pokin around. I pulled the boot on number two and it litterally came apart in my hand. Part of it still attached to the plug...etc. Yeah, they were old, but they were fine before they got wet...Just an idea, with a long drawn out story...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
      OK, to set the stage, the bike ran great up to a week ago. Then it rained wait, that is not quite right, more like MONSOON RAIN and since then:
      1. when I get it open to 3/4 throttle, she stumbles
      2. if I hold it at better than 6 grand for any length of time she stumbles
      3. my fuel usage has gone from 8-9litres every 200km to 12litres every 200km

Anybody got any other ideas?
      Check the coils too, along with wires and plug caps......possibly misfiring at higher rpm.

Tony.
      '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
        Check the coils too, along with wires and plug caps......possibly misfiring at higher rpm.

Tony.
        This wouldn't explain the increase in fuel usage and the distusting rich smell of the exhaust. I will get started on it but so far the airbox reeks of gas, the airfilter would probably explode if I held a match to it, the number 1 and 4 plugs look good, can that metal screen in the airbocx come out?

Comment

Sure it would! If your not getting a good burn, your twisting the throttle more to get the same power you were before with a good burn. The excess isnt getting burnt, the fuel consumption goes up, and gas goes out the exhaust....check into it sir...BTW, have you adjusted the valves in the last 5k?? If your filter reeks of gas like that, then thats going to be part of your problem...I would also suggest pulling the float bowls, and making sure you dont have any crud stuck in the float valves keeping them from closing all the way. Basicly, you'll have to pull the carbs off the bike, go thru the float valves, assure there are no worn (grooved) valves, they are clear and double check your float hights. I would also check to see that your float(s) havent sprung a leak and arent taking on gas...
          Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2009, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Well, draining the water out of the airbox, cleaned the filtre and put it all back together, as well as greased up the rear shock linkage to eliminate the squeak.

Today on the way to work, redline is reachable, 160 km/hr is attainable again.
            I guess it was just the water choking the engine.

Comment

Working...
            X