carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb question

1979 Gs 750L I have removed the petcock valve diaphram to get rid of this vacum assisted fuel thing that suzuki has going on. I have replaced the needle and seat in all the carbs and for some reason two of the carbs over flow fuel on the ground when the bike is just sitting.Im thinking float adjustment ? If so can i do it with feeler gauges ? Any sugestions ?

Thanks Jason

To do a float adjustmen you will need some calipers. your overflowing gas could be caused by sticking float needles.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

how do you use a caliper to measure it and what is the measurement ? I just don't understand how i can measure it when it's a tab. Thank again for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
        1979 Gs 750L I have removed the petcock valve diaphragm to get rid of this vacum assisted fuel thing that suzuki has going on. I have replaced the needle and seat in all the carbs and for some reason two of the carbs over flow fuel on the ground when the bike is just sitting.Im thinking float adjustment ? If so can i do it with feeler gauges ? Any sugestions ?

Thanks Jason
        Isn't that like having your petcock on "prime" all the time?...just dumping fuel into your carbs, and crankcase?? I would think if you are going to remove the diaphragm from the petcock, you should have a secondary shutoff to stop the flow of fuel when the bike is just sitting..or replace the petcock with a pingle, or rebuild it, or replace the whole petcock with a new vacuum one?? I must not understand something??

Jeff (teet)

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
          1979 Gs 750L I have removed the petcock valve diaphram to get rid of this vacum assisted fuel thing that suzuki has going on. I have replaced the needle and seat in all the carbs and for some reason two of the carbs over flow fuel on the ground when the bike is just sitting.Im thinking float adjustment ? If so can i do it with feeler gauges ? Any sugestions ?

Thanks Jason
          No offense, but...why? Seriously, what did you think you'd be accomplishing by doing that?

Other than constantly dumping gasoline into your carbs, flooding your airbox, and filling your engine sump up with gas.

Buy a new petcock, change the oil and filter in your engine NOW, and plumb the petcock to your carbs correctly. It will solve all your problems, and only send gas to your carbs when they need it.
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I'm in agreement with Griffin here. It sounds to me like you deliberately decided to eliminate the engineering design. Suzuki built that vacuum actuated petcock on purpose. To deliver fuel to the carbs only when the engine was running. Now that you have disabled that design function, you have fuel staining the floor in your garage. Why are you surprised?

Get your petcock issue fixed. Then we can talk about float adjustments.

Comment

I'm not surprised that it leaking gas and the reason i took out the diapram is because the carb's weren't getting fuel and i couldn't find a rebuild kit for it.I do plain on fixing it but i think i would be better off replacing the whole petcock valve with one that is gravity feed not vacuum feed and just turn it to the off position when i get off the bike,only because i can find a valve that shuts off easier.

Comment

But with a stock petcock with the vacum feed on it you wont have to worry about ever forgetting to shut it off and end up in the same boat your in now.Plus there isnt much of a price difference in the 2 petcocks.
                I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
                http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

Jason, my good man,

There is literally hundreds of years of experience here concerning these GS motorcycles. Please take heed. You will have a good running bike and a lot less headaches.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                  X