GS850G Oil Passage O-ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G Oil Passage O-ring

I removed the oil pan from my '82 GS850G. Now I have a clymer for my 650, which shows an oil passage o-ring that should be changed when the oil pan gasket is. But I can't find the oil passage o-ring on the online fiches or in search. Is there one? Did it roll somewhere in my shop?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Are you talking about #15? Some people change #8 at every oil change.

You can download an 850 manual from my website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

BassCliff, thx for the reply.
      If you look on page 3-17 (pg 50 of your pdf) of the service manual for a GS650G on your site, the second image points out an o-ring. Because it's on a 650, I expected it to be on my 850 too, but that may not be the case.

Comment

Hi Mr. BeerMonger,

One of the differences between the 650G and the 850G is in the crankcase area. The 650G shares engine oil with the secondary gears. The 850G has a secondary gear case which holds 90wt hypoid gear oil, separate from the engine oil.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BeerMonger View Post
          Because it's on a 650, I expected it to be on my 850 too, but that may not be the case.
          The best thing you can do for yourself right now is to get that silly idea out of your head.

The two bikes don't share much besides the Suzuki GS designation and a few items like wheels and tires. The engines are COMPLETELY different, I think only the oil filters are interchangeable between them. In fact, it can also make a difference between years on the same model. The '79 850 has a few unique touches, like ignition points, sealed-beam headlight, VM carbs and a few others. The '80 and '81 were just a bit different, as they had CV carbs and a different head to match, and electronic ignition, but still rather similar to the '79. Starting in '82, though, there is a different head (again) and valve cover, with more bolts holding them together, a different clutch cover and a few other differences.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve, Done and Done!

Comment

Working...
            X