newbie- lubricating combustion chambers before initial start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie- lubricating combustion chambers before initial start

I just bought my first bike. '82 GS650GL. Looks beautiful, but it doesnt run. I'm working on it right now, but I remember the previous owner telling me that after all the fixes are done, that I should lube the combustion chambers prior to initial start-up to prevent them from seizing up. The bike hasnt been running for 2-3 yrs now.

My question was- How do I lube the ombustion chambers. Is there any special lubricant to be used? I'd really appreciate any tips or advice on this.

Thanks,

Anuj

Hey Anuj,

Assuming the engine will at least turn (try turning manually first to see if it does) - Just remove your spark plugs and put a teaspoon or two of your regular motor oil in each cylinder.

If the engine is locked up now, then you need to get a bit more creative. I haven't run across that yet, but I hear of people putting Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder, and letting sit for a few days, to see if that frees things up. You should be receiving some better advice from others soon.
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Marvel mystery oil works good, for engines that have sat long enough to freeze up a mixture of 50% mystery oil and 50% dextron is used and is allowed to soak in for a couple days.
      as Ron said about a teaspoon a cylinder is good.
      if the engine is not stuck you can use dextron, marvel mystery oil, or good old WD40.
      marvel mystery oil is available in a spray can, you can fog (spray for about two seconds each) each cylinder with it or you can use WD40, just make sure and hold onto the little tube that comes with the spray, you don't want it to pop off and get shot into the cylinder!

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. However, Ron/frosty5011, being the newbie I am, I do not know what you mean when you say "Try turning engine manually". Could you explain how to do that? Sorry if it is a really basic question but i'm pretty clueless.

Thanks

Anuj

Comment

Anuj,

If your bike has a kickstarter (which I don't think it does), you can try turning engine by slowly pushing the kickstarter down. (Take your plugs out beforehand).

The other way is to remove the ignition cover on the right side of the bike - the round cover held in place with 3 screws- and use a wrench to turn the advance governer, which is the big hex head in the middle. (I think it's a 19mm, not sure). Make sure you turn it "clockwise" only.

Good luck!!!
          Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
          "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
          1982 GS1100E
          1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Originally posted by frosty5011
            The other way is to remove the ignition cover on the right side of the bike - the round cover held in place with 3 screws- and use a wrench to turn the advance governer, which is the big hex head in the middle. (I think it's a 19mm, not sure). Make sure you turn it "clockwise" only.
            This is simpler: Put the bike on the centerstand. Shift the bike to high gear (may need the rear wheel to be shaken back and forth gently once between each gear change). With the plugs out it should be really easy to turn the rear wheel by hand in the direction of forward motion). This will cause the engine to turn. Even with the spark plugs in place, and you making the engine turn despite full compression, you should be able to turn the engine in high gear.

You won't find it as easy in first or second gear!!!!!!!!!

If you have the tank off, and easy access to all the plug holes, you can spray in fogging oil with the little flexible tool per the instructions. That would be an excellent lube for this purpose. Fogging oil is designed to be used when storing an engine, and should be available at any big auto parts store.

Comment

if not fogging oil, use PB blaster! That stuff does wonders and will soak into the cylinder to help protect it....

my .02

-Al Conforti

Comment

I just resurrected a GS1100 that had ben idle since '87 (which without this site's help probably wouldn't have been possible). I put a couple of tablespoons of 10W40 into each cylinder, turned the engine by hand and after replacing the crankcase oil started it using 32:1 two stroke mix (I have a 2-stroke lawnmower so it was on hand). I had to clean the plugs a few times since they fouled pretty quickly - not a big deal however. So far it runs great.

Jeff

Comment

Thanks a million for all your tips guys. I havent reached the stage where I'll be starting the bike yet. I still needto work on my holes in the gas tank. However I will take your advice and let you all know how it works out.

Thanks again. This site is just great!! 8)

Comment

Working...
                  X