GS1000 Rear master leaky banjo bolt ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Rear master leaky banjo bolt ?

I have a persisent small brake fluid leak were the brake fluid bolt connects the Russell brake line to the master cylinder. I discovered this leak a while back and I replaced the two old crush washers with suzuki oem parts and didn't give it another thought. Today while assembling body parts I noticied some brake fluid were my lovely finger is pointing. I already torqued it down pretty good.

Any suggestions or has someone had the same problem?

Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Are there crush washers on both sides of that banjo bolt?? Can't really see the bottom one...

I've been using the 3/8" copper crush washers from Z1. They come in a 10 pack & they're pretty cheap.

They are a little bigger than OEM & seal well. Perhaps the face of the offending banjo has a small nick on it??
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

You are right the pics isn't too good but yes there are crush washers on both sides of that banjo bolt. I think the leak is occurring at the bottom washer. Are the Z-1 copper crush washers softer or do they compress easier?
      Steve

Comment

I wouldn't say they're softer, just have a larger OD so maybe it covers more of the banjo face. The OEM ones are copper too I believe, just with a coating/plating.

I would think you could get replacement crush washers at a hose shop - the 3/8" ones fit the 10mm bolts just fine.

I see you're from Westminster, my wife is from Lousiville, right next door.
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
          I wouldn't say they're softer, just have a larger OD so maybe it covers more of the banjo face. The OEM ones are copper too I believe, just with a coating/plating.

I would think you could get replacement crush washers at a hose shop - the 3/8" ones fit the 10mm bolts just fine.

I see you're from Westminster, my wife is from Lousiville, right next door.
          I am just trying to ensure which ever crush washer I buy cures the leak because this is the second time I have this leak now in less than 6 months. I looked at the bag of suzuki crush washers and I see one side of the crush washer is flat while the other is slightly crowned. Perhaps I have them orientated wrong?

I like Colorado been here a decade so far. I think Money Magazine recently stated Louisville, CO. was one of the 2009 top ten US cities to live in.
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
            I am just trying to ensure which ever crush washer I buy cures the leak because this is the second time I have this leak now in less than 6 months. I looked at the bag of suzuki crush washers and I see one side of the crush washer is flat while the other is slightly crowned. Perhaps I have them orientated wrong?
            I was going to suggest that as well, take it apart & flip the washer around, but give the face of the banjo a good look for any nicks or dings first. Check the top of the M/C too, it's aluminum & maybe there's a small burr keeping the washer from sealing.

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
            I like Colorado been here a decade so far. I think Money Magazine recently stated Louisville, CO. was one of the 2009 top ten US cities to live in.
            I remember Louisville BEFORE the Wal-Mart & the cinema & the Home Depot, etc...

Is the Blue Parrot still there on Main?
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Working...
            X