1983 GS1100E diagram for wires in head light bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS1100E diagram for wires in head light bucket

I need a bit of help with the wires in the head light bucket of my 1983 GS1100E.

I had to change the bucket and didn't pay attention to the colors/colours when I disconnected them.

not all the colors/colours have a mate. I have all the multi wire plugs together but have run into problems pairing the singles up. I have 10 female connectors and 9 male. the colors/colours don't match exactly and they aren't exactly like the manual.

does anyone have a close up picture they could send me to help me out?

Thanks.

Originally posted by nobody View Post
    I need a bit of help with the wires in the head light bucket of my 1983 GS1100E.

I had to change the bucket and didn't pay attention to the colors/colours when I disconnected them.

not all the colors/colours have a mate. I have all the multi wire plugs together but have run into problems pairing the singles up. I have 10 female connectors and 9 male. the colors/colours don't match exactly and they aren't exactly like the manual.

Thanks.
    As a general rule the wires that don't match are for the turn signals. There may be a black with white wire that may be connected to both signal lights. You will also find that the left and right signal lights are black from the fixture into the headlight but then inside they connect to a different color to identify them as left or right.

There are wiring diagrams available for several bikes in BassCliff's web site. Check out one of those. Also many of the big suzuki GSs have a brown wire that is only there as a power source for accessories, so you'll never find a match for it. Most of the suzuki wire colors are common in most models so almost any diagram will help you a lot. Sure, there are some differences, but there is a lot of commonality, too.

Comment

Thanks.
      this help

Everything is band new, including the shrink wrap

Comment

thanks for the picture posplayr, I hope you had that on file and didn't actually have to take off the headlight.

I can't tell from the picture where the wires go. It looks like your brown wire doesn't connect to anything. so that helps. now the number are even male to female connector wise.

this what is left for male connectors 8 in total.

from right handle switch 2 wires, 1 orange and 1 white with red marker tube.

the turn signals have a black and a gray wire in shrink wrap and a black w/ white stripe that ground the signal at the base.

if you can help thanks.

Comment

thanks for the picture posplayr, I hope you had that on file and didn't actually have to take off the headlight.

I can't tell from the picture where the wires go. It looks like your brown wire doesn't connect to anything. so that helps. now the number are even male to female connector wise.

this what is left for male connectors 8 in total.

from right handle switch 2 wires, 1 orange and 1 white with red marker tube.

the turn signals have a black and a gray wire in shrink wrap and a black w/ white stripe that ground the signal at the base.

if you can help thanks.
          It is hard to unerstand what you are asking, and sorry about the pic. I already had it and knew it would be hard to tell anything (e.g. the shrink wrap) but it is what you asked for .

What I can tell you is if nobody chopped your harness then IIRC there is no way to put any of the block connectors with the wrong mate. There are cables with end connectors coming from both left and right hand controls as well as the ignition switch. They all connect int the headlamp.

There is that pesky stator/headlamp switch loop back so the harnessing/connections can be a little funny but if you just match connectors it will sort itself out all out.

When I put mine together, it was not clear as well and then suddenly bu just matching connectors it all came together. The bullets are a little trickier as the turn signals as black and white and there is a specific color that drives then. You can figure that out from the schematic easy enough. You did download the manual from Basscliff's website right? There is probably a cable routing guide as well.

Pos

Comment

You're lucky!

Heh, least you dont have this mess to deal with.
            God knows how many redneck crackhead morons got ahold of this in the past. I think I have at least two headlight harness in here someplace.
            LMAO! Can anyone say dual headlights?

sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
              Heh, least you dont have this mess to deal with.
              God knows how many redneck crackhead morons got ahold of this in the past. I think I have at least two headlight harness in here someplace.
              LMAO! Can anyone say dual headlights?

Now you know that picture is of absolutely no use unless you specify the year and model
              Last edited by posplayr; 08-09-2009, 04:38 PM.

Comment

The 10th wire (probably BROWN if it follows all the other GS codes) doesnt connect to anything at all. Simply a power feed for auxilliary somethings or whatzits... so dont sweat it when ya get that far

Comment

<<<Now you know that picture is of absolutely no use unless you specify the year and model >>>

Its a 82 GS850

Still dont help does it?
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                  X