New controls on old bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New controls on old bike?

hello, i know i posted this in performance mods but it seems more in place here.

i just got my 1st vintage bike, a 1978 GS 750C. the bike i owned last was a 2005 GSX-R 600. today i went to the bike graveyard in town to shop for some parts for my GS750, and hoped to find some mag wheels. i didnt find any wheels but i did see a few wreaked but complete 2000-2008 GSX-R's of various models and i was wondering if i can take those levers, master cylinder, and controls and use em on my GS750? maybe even the speedo/tach? i know the speedo/tach will probably be impossible but worth an ask. any other parts off of those bikes i will be able to use on my ol' 750?

thanks,

Originally posted by bovine View Post
    ... but i did see a few wreaked but complete 2000-2008 GSX-R's of various models and i was wondering if i can take those levers, master cylinder, and controls and use em on my GS750? maybe even the speedo/tach?...
    I am interested in this too!

Comment

you can use the levers and master cylinder off pretty much any bike. I've got a master from an 1150 on my 1100, and i've got a ninja 250 master on my 79 kz400. both work fine.

the tach is likely to be electronic, though, and the speedo would need the correct worm gear. i'm not sure how involved it would be to find the right size gear for that, i'm sure someone else more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

Comment

anything is possible if you really want it. modern clocks use electronic signals so may be a bit tricky but any mechanical controls can be adapted to fit. i have a kawasaki front caliper, bandit handlebar levers and gsxr750 footrests on my GS. all easily fitted with a bit of thought and maybe a welder!

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
        X