No announcement yet.

now I am at a loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it had pods when I got it but there is nothing on the end of the hose. when this started I did an oil change with filter just so I knew what was there to start with. it blew out 1 quart running on the stand then stopped. when i took it out it started up again and i lost another half of a quart. i had filled it to spec with my manual so now it is almost half short.

Comment

I'm trying and completely failing to think of a way that engine could pump quarts of liquid oil out the valve cover breather.

Is the engine full of gas leaking through a bad petcock? Even then, this is hard to imagine.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        I'm trying and completely failing to think of a way that engine could pump quarts of liquid oil out the valve cover breather.

Is the engine full of gas leaking through a bad petcock? Even then, this is hard to imagine.
        Perhaps that's why he referred to it as an overflow tube.........

Pull the valve cover and have a peek inside.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Worst case scenario: excessive crankcase pressure due to cracked/broken ring or a damaged piston. Easy to tell on the excessive crankcase pressure, start the bike up, pull the oil fill cap with it running and see if there's pressure behind it. If there's much pressure behind it, it'll try to blow it out of your hand.
          You will blow quarts of oil out of the breather quickly that way and some of the other symptoms you described sound like they're pointing to it.

Comment

damn I think Dan may be on the money I will check that out when I get home. but if I had a bad ring wouldnt It blow smoke from burning oil? sorry to be full of questions on this and thanks for all the thought guys

Comment

Working...
            X