now I am at a loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

now I am at a loss

I posted a thread about an oil leak from the overflow on my cam cover. thought i may be over filled so I ran the bike and the leak went away after about half a quart. took it around the neighborhood with no problems. then today I took it out it was starved for power for just a minute then felt fine until I hit my rear brake in a corner and noticed it was back and covering my rear tire( lovely I know) my oil pressure light never came on. any Ideas on what this could be I do not know where to start? and I can't ride a running oil slick .

So...from I can understand.....you have an oil leak. What I would do is figure out where said oil leak is and fix it.

But.....that's just me.

Do you know where the leak is coming from ?
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

it is coming out of the overflow hose on the cam cover. It isnt over full though. and my oil pressure light has not come on. the sensor has power, I tested it and found it to be working. but whenever I turn it on out comes oil. a lot of oil. My problem is that other then excess pressure what would cause the overflow to run non stop? or what would cause a change in pressure while riding VS sitting on a stand running?

Comment

Well, there's not really an overflow.
        What are we talking about here, perhaps some form of motorcycle?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by adamzuka View Post
          it is coming out of the overflow hose on the cam cover. It isnt over full though. and my oil pressure light has not come on. the sensor has power, I tested it and found it to be working. but whenever I turn it on out comes oil. a lot of oil. My problem is that other then excess pressure what would cause the overflow to run non stop? or what would cause a change in pressure while riding VS sitting on a stand running?
          Overflow hose on the cam cover ??

Where is such a hose ? Which bike ? Inquiring minds need to know more.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

On my GS (I assume you have one these bikes), there is a crankcase breather hose(comes off the top of the valve cover) that goes to the airbox so vapors from the crankcase are ingested with the intake air. If it's loose, you'll get a fine mist of blowby all over everything aft of the engine. If you've got a lot of blowby, the excess will drain out of the airbox thru the drain piping in front of the rear tire.
            Also, there is a drain tube coming from the lower left of the crankcase that evacuates oil from the left side cover if the o-ring on the starter is bad. This also drains in front of the rear tire.
            Final note: Please take an MSF course if you haven't done so already. Braking in a curve is bad juju. Rear brake makes your bike stand up and go in a direction different than you intended with a possible high side fall and front brake can cause a front wheel skid with a possible low side fall.

Comment

Is it your 78 GS750?

I imagine by "overflow hose" you mean the hose on the top of the valve cover that lets excess pressure out of the crankcase? The one that connects to the air box?

If you're getting a lot of oil out of there, you either have too much blow by, too much pressure, or a part of the gasket is mucked up and oil is seeping into the hose area.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                Final note: Please take an MSF course if you haven't done so already. Braking in a curve is bad juju. Rear brake makes your bike stand up and go in a direction different than you intended with a possible high side fall and front brake can cause a front wheel skid with a possible low side fall.
                Wait, what? I was always told that braking in a corner is fine as long as you don't do anything excessive, and that if you must brake, always use the rear first as using the front is more prone to standing the bike up and going wide..

Comment

Come on, guys!
                  Learn to ride.
                  Of course you can brake in a corner.
                  Of course it will effect where the bike goes.
                  Go out on your bikes and learn this stuff, don't just sit on the internet and post guesses about it.
                  Last edited by tkent02; 08-09-2009, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrZig View Post
                    Wait, what? I was always told that braking in a corner is fine as long as you don't do anything excessive, and that if you must brake, always use the rear first as using the front is more prone to standing the bike up and going wide..
                    Get the bike as straight as possible, very minimal lean, and apply BOTH brakes for a "quick stop"... back brake only = rider flying a** over teacup....for a five star high side!

I've taken the basic MSF course, and the advance course, and soon to start rider coach training.

Jeff (teet)

Comment

Originally posted by teet View Post
                      Get the bike as straight as possible, very minimal lean, and apply BOTH brakes for a "quick stop"... back brake only = rider flying a** over teacup....for a five star high side!

I've taken the basic MSF course, and the advance course, and soon to start rider coach training.

Jeff (teet)
                      NO!!!
                      Go learn what the bike and the tires can REALLY do.
                      Last edited by tkent02; 08-09-2009, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        NO!!!
                        Go learn what the bike and the tires can REALLY do.
                        YES

Have you taken a course?? Or taught one? Please dont insinuate I'm "guessing".. I "refresh" my riding skills every chance I get...everyone should.

Comment

side note... I got cut off and had to brake. brought the bike as upright as possible and slowed. I know how to ride and have taken a course.

it is my 78 gs 750. it is the hose on the top of the cam cover. and yeah not blow by more like steady stream. would a cam cover gasket be the likely culprit? sorry for the lack of detail its been a hell of a day.

Comment

Originally posted by adamzuka View Post
                            side note... I got cut off and had to brake. brought the bike as upright as possible and slowed. I know how to ride and have taken a course.

it is my 78 gs 750. it is the hose on the top of the cam cover. and yeah not blow by more like steady stream. would a cam cover gasket be the likely culprit? sorry for the lack of detail its been a hell of a day.

Sorry to get you sidetracked with the "I can ride better than you" crap...sounds like you know what to do...

My GS1000 has a breather/filter on the end of the hose, as I don't have my airbox and run pods. I did notice a fine mist once while the filter was removed, but never a steady stream. Whats on the end of the hose?..anything? Is your oil level too low? I know that if its too low, smoke can sometimes come from the hose because of temps inside..

good luck

Jeff (teet)

Comment

Seems like way to much oil to me. Not sure how else a solid stream could come outta there.Unless it's getting blocked off up there and not going back to the bottom end. In which case you'd know really fast....

Have you drained the oil and changed it with a new filter lately ?
                              Larry D
                              1980 GS450S
                              1981 GS450S
                              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                              X