Slow blowing fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow blowing fuse

On my bike the main fuse has been sort of half blowing ,that is it will melt the solder out of the ends and then intermittently have the wire inside come in and out of contact with the engine vibration .This causes the engine to miss and back fire.
    I just rechecked the charging system and it seems to be in spec according to the stator papers. Replacing the fuse will deal with the problem for a week or two but it happens again (3rd fuse so far ).
    Thinking of putting in relays and separate fuses for the headlight as it is the last heavy load on the original wiring
    Any one have any idea about this.

I once had a heater blower in an old chevy that I drove in my youth that would do this. Only in the winter of course when I needed it. I would replace the fuse only to have the replacement do it again in a very short time. Turned out to be a bad box of fuses if you can believe that. Once I used the last one in that box and purchased a new lot, the problem resolved itself.
    Have you tried a different lot of fuses? The current draw in your circuit should not be enough to unsolder the fuse wire without blowing the fuse.
    Don

Comment

First fuse was original (at least to me ) but the two others were from the same box.

Comment

Do the dance. Clean connections and grounds. Might be ignition switch related.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, it sounds like heat caused by corroded, dirty connections rather than a short circuit pulling more current. That's why the fuse is melting rather than blowing. Check and clean the entire wiring harness, all connections and grounds, from headlight bucket to the tail light including the fusebox and ignition switch. Check the "Electrical Odds and Ends" section for cleaning/repair information. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

OK just did the contact cleaner and dielectric grease thing from back to front . Will see if the problem reoccurs ,looks like this may have to become a spring ritual until I Get a garage for winter storage.
            I'm off to the local ice cream stand as it is hot and muggy here

Comment

If you brighten up all the contact points inside and outside the dielectric compound should keep it from building up a high contact resistance for a good long time. Contact cleaner alone might not be enough. A miniature spiral brass brush small enough for the barrels might be in order. That greenish patina needs to go away.
              Last edited by OldVet66; 08-10-2009, 08:14 PM.
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Used a scotch bright Qtip from work , works well for getting the inside of the barrels clean.

Comment

Hi,

I like little wire brushes too, and sometimes sandpaper, to clean electrical connections. Naval Jelly, De-Oxit are good cleaners. See the "Electrical Odds and Ends" section on my website for more ideas.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Just to clarify, fuses are thermal devices - they all melt.

One other nick nack. Since they are thermal devices, they tend to open up (melt) more in the summer due to the higher ambient temperature.

Comment

Working...
                    X