A couple more rebuild questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple more rebuild questions.

Thanks to those who've helped so far. It's made a big difference. Just a couple of more questions, then I should be done with my rebuild.

Still working on an '82 GS850GL. My Vesrah rebuild kit came with 4 large copper washers, and 4 small copper washers. I'm guessing the large ones go on the cylinder head bolts that use the domed nut, and the small ones are for the breather cover, but I'm not sure. Any help?

Oh, and my stupid question, I seem to have 'misplaced' the battery ground cable. Getting another ground cable is no problem, but I can't remember where it is supposed to be grounded and I can't find anything in my service manual. Anybody know?

Thanks for any more help,
    Adam

It goes down.

It goes down to the back of the motor in the center in front of the swing arm.

Comment

Not sure which one, But the washers are for use on the studs that the oil flows thru

Comment

Thanks guys. Figured out the four large copper washers, but still don't know about the small ones. Looks like they would be for 10mm bolts.

Comment

where to buy

Fx, can you (or anyone else for that matter) tell me where you purchased that rebuild kit. I have been looking for one for a long time. Thanks,
          Mark Harrop

Comment

I purchased mine a long time ago from Dennis Kirk. It's a Vesrah complete rebuild kit, about $100. I have had a couple of problems with it though. The chain tensioner gasket was for a two bolt (like on a GS1000 I think), and mine is a three. Not too big a deal so I just cut one out of gasket stock. Then late last night as I was just finishing getting everything back together, and had my buddy on hand to help me get the engine back in the bike, I discovered the cam cover gasket isn't right. Right shape, but a bunch of the bolt holes are way off. I think it might be for a GS1000 also, and for some reason the folks at Vesrah think they're the same on the 850.

By the way Mark, the rebuild kit didn't come with any berrings.

Comment

Originally posted by fx2ooo
              I discovered the cam cover gasket isn't right. Right shape, but a bunch of the bolt holes are way off. I think it might be for a GS1000 also, and for some reason the folks at Vesrah think they're the same on the 850.
              Try flipping the gasket over.
              Not to state the obvious, but I did the same thing on my 650G yesterday. On mine at least, the holes aren't symmetrical. Took me a good 30 seconds of staring at it too, 'cuz it's not that obvious using the naked eye.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, but I did think of that.

I did some research on this forum which led me to this German GS site. With a rough translation through Bable Fish, , I learned that the cylinder head cover on the '83 has a few extra bolt holes to correct a problem with leaks in this area. The areas of the gasket with the extra holes create a gap in the mating surface on my '82. Also, not all the original holes line up anymore.

Basically, it's a Vesrah *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$-up if I may say so. The complete gasket set is supposed to be for '82-'83 GS850G and GL's, but it's not. I emailed them about it, and a seperate issue I had with some of their valve seals. I'll post what they say, if I get a reply.

The good news is I found my ground cable today!

Adam

Comment

A bit late, but four big copper washers are for the domed niuts on the outside, where the oil flows through. Can't recall anywhere else they are used for smaller bolts.

Comment

Working...
                  X