fork oil substitutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork oil substitutions

I have installed fresh oil seals and Teflon sliders in the forks of my 1983 GS750ed, and now need to put in some oil. I've read mention in one post that Dextron automatic transmission fluid can be substituted for fork oil, and in another that a mixture of ATF and SAE 30 motor oil can be used. Can anyone clarify with some certainty what substitutions are a good idea, if any?

Thanks.

The trani fluid will work.

The trani fluid is the same a 30w Hyrolic fluid. You might as well spend a few bucks on the right wieght fork oil of you choosing. You only need about 520ml for both sides. I don't think you'll go broke. Unless you want 30W fork oil.

Comment

In that case, I should ask for recommendations of a good cycle shop in the Twin Cities that's open Saturday evenings or on Sundays at all.

Comment

my manual list dextron ATF as one of the recomended fluids. it is on the heavyer side, it will give firmer damping, help prevent bottoming on bigger bumps, I am using dextron in my bike and like it.

Comment

Leon, what weight fork oil does it recommend? If your '80 is build to use a heaver oil then maybe the Dextron is a closer match.

Comment

do you really want dexron III though? They have all sorts of friction modifiers to give auto transmissions a smoooooooth shift! BLAH!

I would recomended using TYPE F because is the same as Dexron without the friction modifiers. I run the F in my TH-2004r in my Cutlass (which is a GM car) and it gives nice firm shifts. I know this is a motorcycle site, but just a tid bit of info - type F is essentially the same crap that Hurst sells as "hot shift" for firm shifts, the difference is about $5 a quart.

My .02
            -Al Conforti

Comment

This is all getting into a grey area...

This is all getting into a grey area I think. For some reason the manuals do say Dexron is fine. I don't think Type F is listed for some reason. I actually am running Dexron in mine and its fine. In hind site would like to have seen how regular fork oil handled before I went with the trani fluid.

Comment

I ran Dexron last year. I found it a bit soft, so am using 10W-15 fork oil at the moment. I run the Euro spec forks (78 GS1000).

Comment

Oh yes, just checked, castrol say that Dexron III can be used instead of 10W (engine) oil. From memory, fork oil grades are not necessarily directly compatible. For example, I have tried (and still have!) Belray 20W and 30W fork oil in the bike, 20W is way too stiff for proper fork action now I am not running the full fairing.

I must say the auto trans fluid was might comfy....but the front end was a bit soft for sporty use.

Comment

how do you check/add fluid on 80s GS450L ?

thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X