No announcement yet.

Desperate Carb Help Needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Bruce..Will do..Should I pick up some bigger jets too? I was gonna stop over to Z1 but Ive been busy adjusting screws all day..lol

Thanks

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by teet View Post
      Thanks Bruce..Will do..Should I pick up some bigger jets too? I was gonna stop over to Z1 but Ive been busy adjusting screws all day..lol

Thanks

Jeff
      Nope. Let's get it runing before we go for performance related issues!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
        Nope. Let's get it runing before we go for performance related issues!
        Thanks Dave....I picked up a few anyway (they are cheap enough 112.5, 115, and 120) maybe I'll use em, and maybe I wont. I'm going to work on the float height now before I worry about jets.

Thanks again!

Jeff (teet)

Comment

hey teet, i may be really far off, but how's your electrical system? the other night when i was on my way home the bike started to backfire, lose power and didnt want to hold an idle. when i went over my system i found out my r/r was on the out so i didnt have enough juice to keep the battery fully charged; much less make a strong enough spark to properly ignite the gas. a little drop in the voltage made a world of difference. if what your doing now doesnt help, or as a good preventitive measure; i would check my voltage and make sure the charging system is funtioning properly per the stator papers in the garage section. and if that checks out then check the plug wires. they may be bad. ive had issues with these. one day when you are bored cleaning the connectors would be a good thing. i did this when putting my bike back togeather (per basscliffs website). once again these are only suggestions, im no expert. what little i know ive learned by trial and error, and this along with basscliffs website. thank god for the wealth of knowledge on this site. good luck buddy.

Comment

Thanks for the added info!

Your probably right on track...Ive killed my battery 4 times today, and twice yesterday trying to get this pos going.

On a side note, I checked the float levels and all were dead nuts 24mm except one was 27MM, and yes I removed the gasket..lol

So I got the one back down to 24mm, and tried over again..still nothing....

I tore it apart again, tried 115 mains and she fired on choke, but died quickly..she sounded like she wanted to start again..then nothing. Funny how a $30 pipe turned into rebuilding carbs, stator, might as well re-adjust the valves for the 2nd time this year..what else??

I think she's gonna sit for a while..my patience is wearing thin...

Thanks all

jeff

Comment

is the air filter (filters) clean? if you didnt put it on then i wouldnt trust the po's word as to the newness of them, not to mention that if they look new they could have been sitting around for a while getting either brittle or clogged by dust. maybe the air folw is restricted. just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by spyder2120 View Post
                is the air filter (filters) clean? if you didnt put it on then i wouldn't trust the po's word as to the newness of them, not to mention that if they look new they could have been sitting around for a while getting either brittle or clogged by dust. maybe the air folw is restricted. just a thought.

Thats a good thought as well....It has UNI pod filters on it now, and they are in decent shape. I tried all of my previous fixes both with them on and off, and it made no difference.

The po was also a member on this board, so he was somewhat knowledgeable regarding the stator fixes, and what not, and he did upgrade alto of the wiring, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to dig into that again to rule everything out.

Thanks for your help...I think I just need to let it sit for a few days, and come back to it..I have a problem with patience, and sometimes it gets the best of me..lol

Thanks

Jeff (teet)

Comment

i feel ya man.

Comment

ok it sounds to me that your way too rich on the mains and a little lean on the pilots
                    even with the 4 into 1 and pods and i assume that you have stock VM26's

in stock form the mains were #95 and the pilots were #15
                    now with a pipe and pods in place you should need the following settings

main jet 100 or 102.5
                    pilot jet 17.5 maybe 20
                    fuel mixture screw 3/4 of a turn out to start
                    (this one is subjective you need to run the bike from idle to 1/4 throttle and then do a plug chop to see if it needs to be turned in or out to get the correct mixture on the pilot circuit)
                    air screws start at 1 1/2 turns out (adjust for highest RPM)

I'm betting that your pilots are lean and that is why it won't start there is just not enough fuel to get it to fire
                    as for the mains well there most likely way too rich and that is why you get fouled plugs

some basics on tuning
                    remember that each circuit corresponds to a throttle opening (not RPM)
                    idle to 1/4 pilot
                    1/4 to 3/4 jet needle
                    3/4 to WOT main jet
                    don't forget that each circuit overlaps the previous one and float height affects all circuits
                    if your mains are too rich then your jet needle will also be too rich as the fuel is coming in though the main jet and is then metered by the needle to be correct

under normal circumstances you should start with the main jet and work down to the pilot
                    however you can't get it to start so start with the pilot and go from there
                    this will be a trial and error effort you need to get it to idle first then once you have that ride it and see what it does then come home make a change and ride it see what difference that made and do a plug chop see what the plugs tell you
                    then go home make another change and ride it again do this till you get it right
                    here is a plug chart to help you in reading your plugs

you can print this and have a hard copy to use when checking your plugs

i hope i have shed some light on this for you and helped you out a bit or at least put you on the right track to getting your bike running well

Comment

Originally posted by spyder2120 View Post
                      i feel ya man.
                      Thanks spyder....

I'll get her going. I just need to take a step back, and think things over, and start ruling out all other possible problems. I'll come back to her in a few days when my stress level has deminished..lol

SIDE NOTE: I did notice that she starts up much better when I leave it in the prime position for a while, but when I switch over to "on" it will fizzle out, then the bowls seem to be "empty"...any ideas?? The petcock is a brand new vacuum one from Z1 with less than 5 miles on it. I pulled the hose, and cranked the engine and it does flow...???

Thanks

Jeff (teet)

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderman View Post
                        ok it sounds to me that your way too rich on the mains and a little lean on the pilots
                        even with the 4 into 1 and pods and i assume that you have stock VM26's

in stock form the mains were #95 and the pilots were #15
                        now with a pipe and pods in place you should need the following settings

main jet 100 or 102.5
                        pilot jet 17.5 maybe 20
                        fuel mixture screw 3/4 of a turn out to start
                        (this one is subjective you need to run the bike from idle to 1/4 throttle and then do a plug chop to see if it needs to be turned in or out to get the correct mixture on the pilot circuit)
                        air screws start at 1 1/2 turns out (adjust for highest RPM)

I'm betting that your pilots are lean and that is why it won't start there is just not enough fuel to get it to fire
                        as for the mains well there most likely way too rich and that is why you get fouled plugs

some basics on tuning
                        remember that each circuit corresponds to a throttle opening (not RPM)
                        idle to 1/4 pilot
                        1/4 to 3/4 jet needle
                        3/4 to WOT main jet
                        don't forget that each circuit overlaps the previous one and float height affects all circuits
                        if your mains are too rich then your jet needle will also be too rich as the fuel is coming in though the main jet and is then metered by the needle to be correct

under normal circumstances you should start with the main jet and work down to the pilot
                        however you can't get it to start so start with the pilot and go from there
                        this will be a trial and error effort you need to get it to idle first then once you have that ride it and see what it does then come home make a change and ride it see what difference that made and do a plug chop see what the plugs tell you
                        then go home make another change and ride it again do this till you get it right
                        here is a plug chart to help you in reading your plugs

you can print this and have a hard copy to use when checking your plugs

i hope i have shed some light on this for you and helped you out a bit or at least put you on the right track to getting your bike running well
                        Good info, but I would disagree regarding the pilot. My 1000 has K&N's, a Jardine 4-1, and a Dynojet jet kit and stock #15 pilots. Dynojet recommends you keep the stock pilots. With a stock engine, you should be able to compensate simply by adjusting the pilot fuel screw out.
                        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by teet View Post
                          SIDE NOTE: I did notice that she starts up much better when I leave it in the prime position for a while, but when I switch over to "on" it will fizzle out, then the bowls seem to be "empty"...any ideas?? The petcock is a brand new vacuum one from Z1 with less than 5 miles on it. I pulled the hose, and cranked the engine and it does flow...???
                          That's a huge "side note". You still have a problem with your petcock. Sounds like it's not flowing enough. Leave it on prime and see what happens. It won't hurt anything unless you have bad float needles, in which case you will flood the carbs. Also make sure you don't have any low spots on the fuel line going to the carbs. It is a gravity flow system.
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                            Good info, but I would disagree regarding the pilot. My 1000 has K&N's, a Jardine 4-1, and a Dynojet jet kit and stock #15 pilots. Dynojet recommends you keep the stock pilots. With a stock engine, you should be able to compensate simply by adjusting the pilot fuel screw out.

Interesting guys...Thanks! When I had her somewhat spitting and sputtering, I was trying every possible adjustment on both screws, and it really didn't run any different?

Heres the kicker spyder..the po has 110's installed already with the stock exhaust and pods. So i may need to actually go down in main jet size eventually? Right? But it ran PERFECT with the holey stock exhaust, pods and 110's..he had all the pilots like 1/2 out and the fuel screws like 3/4 out??

Mass confusion!!! Anyone want a pos GS1000 cheap! lol

Jeff (teet)

Comment

That's a huge "side note". You still have a problem with your petcock. Sounds like it's not flowing enough. Leave it on prime and see what happens. It won't hurt anything unless you have bad float needles, in which case you will flood the carbs. Also make sure you don't have any low spots on the fuel line going to the carbs. It is a gravity flow system.

Ahh yes Bruce! I do know that the fuel like makes a nice low swooping arch down by the engine case, and come back up under the carbs, this could really be the problem? I'm wondering why it didn't matter before I swapped out this exhaust. It ran well, and I put several hundred miles on it with the line like that..hmm..but maybe the screen is clogged a bit on the new petcock? The tank is new to me as well, it was very clean inside, but may of had some particles left from when the seller of the tank cleaned it out...I guess I'm going to have to start from the beginning, and rule out EVERYTHING..I didn't think about the petcock since its brand new. Ya know, when I had her running momentarily, I took her up the road, and she would get to the point where she just started to die, like running out of gas, until I pulled the choke...after the last time I pulled the carbs and went to drain the bowls, they were empty..hmm. Thanks for giving me some more ideas. I bet it's simpler than I think!

Jeff (teet)

Comment

fair enough
                                i can't really tell him exactly what to do with the 26's and a stock engine because i'm no where near stock
                                ported and polished head cams (degreed) 29mm smoothies K&N's hindle race pipe
                                so you may be right about the pilots i just was hoping to put him on the right track to get it running and sorted out

on another note bruce are you selling those oil pressure gauges on e bay if so i would like to talk to you about getting one
                                thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X