Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GK exhaust

do any other GS exhausts fit the GK?

I ask, because currently my GK has a rusty V&H 4-1 on it, and I would like to either go back to a stock setup or get a 4-1 in better condition, and finding a exhaust listed as fitting a GK is pretty difficult.

Thanks

Something from the 'G' might be as close as you will get. The 'GK exhaust is unique to the line, as the mufflers were pointed lower than other exhausts in order to clear the bags. If your good with fabrication, you might make em'fit.

Comment

If I had a GK I would be all over those pipes

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01 View Post

Nice link !!

$100 for a GK exhaust is a steal. Any original exhaust for that matter. It looks to be in decent shape. Shipping may be pricey, but still well worth it.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Yea, kinda wish I needed it, but mine is in even better shape that that one is. Sucks when you find a good deal and just can't justify spending that much on something you won't need for a long time!

Comment

sucks even more when you need it and cant come up with the cash right now....

Comment

Originally posted by BigLou View Post
              sucks even more when you need it and cant come up with the cash right now....
              I understand cash issues very well, but if you really want this you might want to beg, borrow or steal to get it, as these do not come come around at all.

Comment

well, i begged and stole, and bought it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigLou View Post
                  well, i begged and stole, and bought it!!!
                  Congrats

Comment

Outstanding!!

Comment

I looked at the ebay listing for the GK pipes some two weeks ago and passed on them because the muffler exhaust outlets didn't look right. Might want to contact the seller before he ships and confirn the mufflers have not been modified. Have him look to see if the baffles are removable, if so they are not stock muffs. Also confirm lenght is over 26 inches from exhaust outlet to where the muff attaches to the header. Sorry I could not let you know sooner but work has prevented me from being on the forum site. I'm thinking if the headers and flanges are not banged up and the chrome is decent and the welds have not rusted out you have a good start at making a system. Muffler style is dunstall and will be 4 inches in diameter and will be at least 6 inches longer than megaphone style GL models use. I have nearly the same exhaust issue on my 82 GK except I have stock exhaust which has rotted away. I compared GK exhaust against my 83 GS1100GL stock exhaust. Good hunting!

Comment

What part is rotted? the Muffler or the pipes? if it is just the muffler, I was told that some HD mufflers are a pretty much slip-on affair, and can possibly had for little or nothing at the local HD shop because all the people buying them will replace them with louder pipes when they buy a new bike. I want to say its the ones from the Dyna models that 'fit'.

Comment

I went ahead and bought them after speaking to the seller. He said there is a bit of rust and carbo on the end of the pipes, which you see in the photos, but he said they are still solid.

They should be here in a couple of days, Ill let you know how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by Markus Likeus View Post
                            I looked at the ebay listing for the GK pipes some two weeks ago and passed on them because the muffler exhaust outlets didn't look right. Might want to contact the seller before he ships and confirn the mufflers have not been modified. Have him look to see if the baffles are removable, if so they are not stock muffs. Also confirm lenght is over 26 inches from exhaust outlet to where the muff attaches to the header. Sorry I could not let you know sooner but work has prevented me from being on the forum site. I'm thinking if the headers and flanges are not banged up and the chrome is decent and the welds have not rusted out you have a good start at making a system. Muffler style is dunstall and will be 4 inches in diameter and will be at least 6 inches longer than megaphone style GL models use. I have nearly the same exhaust issue on my 82 GK except I have stock exhaust which has rotted away. I compared GK exhaust against my 83 GS1100GL stock exhaust. Good hunting!
                            Hmm. I'm a bit suspicious too. Those ebay pipes look like they have the megaphone style exhaust. I thought the GK exhaust had a bullet style muffler end. Now really, I'm no expert on the GS1100G or GK. But my '80 GS1100L (chain drive) has the megaphone mufflers.

Big Lou, I'm just tossing out a thought here. I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                            X