Wiring problem?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring problem?!

Whether the engine is running or is off with the in the on position my tail light and brake light won't work when the headlight is turned on. They work fine when the headlight is in the off position.

What do you think? Any insight? Thanks

Hi,

Did this behavior just manifest itself? When was the last time the tail light worked properly? Did the tail light stop working correctly after you performed any maintenance or electrical mods?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The bike had no rear lights when I bought it. It only had a headlight.

Comment

I don't see a choice but to get a wiring diagram and a multimeter and trace the non-working connections back until you find where the voltage is lost. It's almost impossible to diagnose problems like this any other way.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, it will take come electrical sleuthing. It sounds like you have something connected directly to the battery when the ignition switch is in the "Off" position.

Oh, gee. I guess that was a "Profound Glimpse Into The Obvious". Sorry.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by robaroni View Post
            Whether the engine is running or is off with the in the on position my tail light and brake light won't work when the headlight is turned on. They work fine when the headlight is in the off position.

What do you think? Any insight? Thanks
            This sounds like some very strange symptoms. Off hand I can not think of any reason short of a dead battery why the headlights would relate to brake lights, although the tail light and headlight should be on the same circuit. But the headlights having opposite polarity to the tail light is very strange to say the least.

So for a debugging approach, I would turn on the headlamps and get your tail/brake in to a fault condition and then starting at the tail lights work backward to see where you have a lack of voltage.

It almost sounds like someone , did a combo butcher and mis wire of a control switch. Simple bad connections would not create the conditions you described.

Comment

You guys were supposed to have the magic answer!

Oh well, multimeter here I come.

Comment

Originally posted by robaroni View Post
                You guys were supposed to have the magic answer!
                Disconnect the brown wire and replace it with the orange wire?

No, not really.

Good luck. Keep us informed. Do you have a wiring diagram? I've got a few on my site.

BassCliff

Comment

The PO was a very bad man. The wiring harness is mangled. I am considering replacing it. Is there a source out there for new ones?

Comment

Hi,

Wiring harnesses are hard to find new, but it's possible. Check the vendor list in your mega-welcome. There's also ebay or the Parts Wanted/Parts for Sale sections of this forum.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                    X