Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork seal stuck...

Hey all,

So I've torn down the forks in order to replace some old oil seals. I got the first one off without much trouble. But of course with my luck, the second is giving me some trouble. I've tried all thetechniques from a puller, heating it, to trying to pry it out/scrape it off. I'm not sure if it's normal, but its like it's either
    1) Really rusted in there
    2)a PO glued it in...??
    3)the seal just really hates me
    4)It likes its home right there and is antisocial so it wont come out

This is one of the last projects on the rebuild before I can take it on the road and be sure evrything is in top notch shape.

Thanks all

Kev

That's the way it went for me. One was easy the other was really a bear.

I made a small chisel from the end of an old screw driver and chiseled my way through several spots on the seal. Then it pulled out. Just be careful as you chisel not to scrape up the inner fork.

Rick

Comment

try not to mess up the fork boot as you get med evil on it

Comment

Burn it out - the rubber will burn off with a blowlamp and give you just enough room to prise it up.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
          Burn it out - the rubber will burn off with a blowlamp and give you just enough room to prise it up.
          What in heck is a "blowlamp"? Candle by the bedside? (Get your minds out of the gutter!)

Comment

Originally posted by onchiman View Post
            What in heck is a "blowlamp"? Candle by the bedside? (Get your minds out of the gutter!)
            Blowlamp = 'proper English' for gas torch. Runs on paraffin, butane, propane etc depending on the design. Plumbers use them for soldering.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Blowlamp = 'proper English' for gas torch. Runs on paraffin, butane, propane etc depending on the design. Plumbers use them for soldering.
              I call it a propane torch

Comment

Well all is done with that part. I need to figure how to measure out exactly 302mL of oil now. I don't live in a hosptial so we don't have syringes around my house.

Kev

Comment

Rather than measure volume you should measure the depth of the oil in the tube - a bit like a dipstick. Far more accurate as there will be factory differences in the internal mouldings.

If you take the springs out and push the tubes down as far as they will go you measure from the top of the tube. Some people use a piece of tube the right length and the suck the excess oil up with a syringe. The manual will tell you the right oil level for your bike.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by coolksprt View Post
                    Well all is done with that part. I need to figure how to measure out exactly 302mL of oil now. I don't live in a hosptial so we don't have syringes around my house.

Kev
                    Any feed store that sells horse feed will have huge syringes for a very small price.
                    Don

Comment

The English. LOL I like reading posts from the UK with what Americans would call an English accent. Just for sport.

Mark

Comment

A turkey baster works well for pulling the oil out too

Comment

Originally posted by Don-lo View Post
                          A turkey baster works well for pulling the oil out too

HA! You should have seen my moms face when she saw me using her liquid measuring cups!
                          All for the sake of the 850. Gotta love it.

Kev

Comment

Working...
                          X