Fuel Container

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Container

Can i put gasoline in a regular plastic gallon jug, Like the kind that blue bunny milk comes in? I want to know because i have to replace the pet cock on my bike and i don't have anything to transfer the fuel over to. I don't have a gas can to put the fuel in and the other gas tank on the parts bike is full of rust and it needs to be tumbled. It would be very convenient to put the gas in a plastic gallon jug too because it would be an easy transfer over. Just let me know if the gas will eat the plastic or not.

Hi,

It wouldn't be advisable for long term storage but a plastic milk jug will hold your gas for a while, no problem. When I was a kid and my brother and I were mowing lawns for extra money, that's all we had to haul around our gas. We couldn't afford a real gas can.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Kitten Tooth View Post
      Can i put gasoline in a regular plastic gallon jug, Like the kind that blue bunny milk comes in? I want to know because i have to replace the pet cock on my bike and i don't have anything to transfer the fuel over to. I don't have a gas can to put the fuel in and the other gas tank on the parts bike is full of rust and it needs to be tumbled. It would be very convenient to put the gas in a plastic gallon jug too because it would be an easy transfer over. Just let me know if the gas will eat the plastic or not.

Hmm....I guess as long as your not transporting it, or planning on leaving it in the "milk jug" for any length of time, its probably ok for a quick swap. I know from my idiotic experience several years ago that used motor oil will eat through those suckers...lesson learned. If it's going to be any extended storage, I would suggest dropping a few bucks and pick up a red poly gas can from wallyworld. Heck if you were closer I'd give you one I have like 10 of them in the shop.

Jeff (teet)

Comment

Originally posted by teet View Post

Heck if you were closer I'd give you one I have like 10 of them in the shop.

Jeff (teet)
        How many still have the spouts?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          How many still have the spouts?

All of them, I think. I have so many that Ive "inherited" over the years..some for mix, some for diesel..My favorite one is an old steel one my dad had that has the handle lever(trigger) on it like a gas pump to dispense fuel. I don't think its too safe by today standards though..

I see spouts at the gas station near the pumps all the time...must suck to have fuel splashing around all over the inside of someones trunk..ugh

Jeff (teet)

Comment

Working...
          X