GS850L Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850L Exhaust

A couple of months ago, I bought this bike, based upon condition. Never rode it, or even started it, before purchase. When I first heard it run, I was surprised. Instead of the normal, quiet Japanese motorcycle, what I had bought sounded like a wannabe-Harley! Not what I wanted. Well, I shone a light into the end of the mufflers, and they appear unmolested. I guess you could say I was baffled. Hmmm. By chance, I was looking at pictures in the Gallery and it dawned on me: Many of the L's have mufflers that terminate at the end of the differential, and many of the non-L's mufflers extend to the rear tire. I think it is not merely the length, but also the internal construction, that affect the sound.
    What I am proposing is a swap. I have read a few posts where the poster wanted a little more aggressive sound. What I want is a bike the sounds like my 2007 Bandit, and attracts no attention from irritated neighbors when I ride to work in the morning. Anyone interested?
    Bob K

My bone stock L is whisper quiet unless your pulling it HARD above 4500RPM's. Do you have a pic of said pipes so we can get a non-baffled look at them?

Comment

Today 03:43 PM Dave8338 My bone stock L is whisper quiet unless your pulling it HARD above 4500RPM's. Do you have a pic of said pipes so we can get a non-baffled look at them?
      I agree, my stock "L" exhaust is also very quiet. I wonder if the dreaded PO drilled out the outer "imitation" holes in the OEM exhaust or completely pulled the baffles out somehow.
      82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
      81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
      83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
      06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
      AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

My wife's "L" is not what I would call 'whisper-quiet', but it certainly does not attract undue attention, either.

On the other hand, it does have a strange motorboat-ish quality to the sound.
        Some bikes, like the 1100E have pipes that are similarly short, but have different baffling inside, so they sound different and are quieter.

I, too am keeping my eye open for a nice set of "G" pipes or a nice quiet header to make her bike sound better.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. robertkreidler,

Welcome! You'll find lots of GS850 lovin' on my website. Let me give you a proper howdy...

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I 3rd the quietness on the L. I've tried to look into making the pipes a little louder becuase truthfully, for a first bike, I'm not all too worried about getting all the power I need out of it. And being the highschool student I am, I'm not upgrading any parts more then I need to for now.

Kev

Comment

My '80 850L is not obnoxiously loud, but it does have more volume than a Bandit when it's running. It also has a baffle rattle occasionally, so at some point in time I'm going to have to replace the mufflers and resonator. I definately wouldn't compare the sound to an obnoxious Hardely straight pipe. Someone probably de-baffled yours.

Comment

How bad is it for the engine if the exhaust if debaffled and you don't rejet the carbs?

Kev

P.S. sorry to steal the thread a little =]

Comment

Yeah, guys, you're right, comparing the sound to a Harley isn't really accurate. I don't see where anyone attacked the pipes, so is it possible to add packing from the front end, or a baffle, to quiet it down? Being a cheap guy, I'd rather work on the bike than just throw expensive parts at it. It really would be a tragedy to hack them up, because they look pretty good.

Mr. BassCliff, thank you for the welcome! I've already been nibbling away at your site, although there is a LOT of info there. My restoration plan will be a bit leisurely; I like to ride. And the bike feels strong, even with my Bandit as a comparison. It's not a basket case, and I have been riding it a bit.

Bob K

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

On the other hand, it does have a strange motorboat-ish quality to the sound.
                    I noticed that on my GL before I put the Vance and Hines 4 into 1 on it. I thought I was the only one to interpret the sound that way. I guess I'm not crazy after all.
                    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                    1983 GS 1100 G
                    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                      II guess I'm not crazy after all.
                      I would not take my interpretation of the sound as confirmation of your sanity.

Maybe we're BOTH crazy.

And probably enjoying it.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've got a decent set of 80 850 GL pipes. Will they fit on my '79 850? I know i need to do something with the oil pan connection. Will the GL pan fit my 79?? The 79 exhaust is kinda on it's way out and i don't want a 4 into 1.
                        1979 GS850G
                        2004 SV650N track bike
                        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

If those 80 l pipes don't work for you I would be happy to take them off your hands

Comment

i will be researching the fit, if no fit then they will be sold. I want the things to fit.
                            1979 GS850G
                            2004 SV650N track bike
                            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Working...
                            X