Float Bowl Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float Bowl Gaskets

I want to make my own gaskets for my float bowls on a 1982 suzuki GS300L.
    Im sick of waiting for parts and i have gasket sealant on hand as well.
    What i wante to know was what kind of plastic wont get eaten by gasoline?
    I was also wondering if i could cut a gasket out of card stock. would it leak if i used Permatex #2 sealant?

Thanks,
    Kitten Tooth

Originally posted by Kitten Tooth View Post
    I want to make my own gaskets for my float bowls on a 1982 suzuki GS300L.
    Im sick of waiting for parts and i have gasket sealant on hand as well.
    What i wante to know was what kind of plastic wont get eaten by gasoline?
    I was also wondering if i could cut a gasket out of card stock. would it leak if i used Permatex #2 sealant?

Thanks,
    Kitten Tooth
    Some have used a cereal box, I prefer to use the real gasket making material from a parts store. I also DO NOT suggest using any form of sealant or 'plastic goop' anywhere near the fuel system.

Comment

Yea!!

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      Some have used a cereal box, I prefer to use the real gasket making material from a parts store. I also DO NOT suggest using any form of sealant or 'plastic goop' anywhere near the fuel system.
      I totally agree with Dave. A cereal box will work perfectly; if it doesn't, you've got a different problem. Don't goop it up...bad idea.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Don't waste time with a cereal box, go to the auto parts store and get some gasket paper that is the right thickness (take along an old floatbowl gasket) and rated for use in gasoline. Trace out the pattern and then cut out the gasket using an exacto knife. To punch the holes, find a piece of tubing the proper diameter and sharpen it on a grinder and then use it like a punch to make the holes. I've done this several times and it works perfectly.

Last edited by Nessism; 08-13-2009, 09:13 AM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Dang, that's a good idea. I'm too lazy. I would wait for the parts unless it was my only ride and it had to be up and running the next day. All bets are off then.

Comment

thats a good effort there.... those gaskets are like £7 each in the uk!! .... well, for my ET at least they are

Comment

Over and over

Better yet, remove the old ones carefully and use them over and over....that's what I always do and I've never had one leak.
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I bought new carbs for my parts bike because im restoring it and my carbs decided to act up just a wee bit. I had fuel coming out of the air intake side of the right side carburetor. So, i took those carbs off and installed the ones i just bought. They leaked alot out of the float bowl gaskets. So, I took them off and replaced the float bowl gaskets with the ones that came out of the carbs that needed cleaned. I used permatex number 2 sealant on it. Everyone that ive heard from so far said to never you anyy kind of sealant on the carbs, But its resistant to fuel. It sealed up nice and i haven't had a problem yet. The only problem is that after i cleaned the other ones, I didn't have any gaskets to replace the once i swapped out. Im sick of waiting for parts and i just want to make my own. And, im trying not to buy anything else for that bike. Im gonna go to an auto parts store and pick up the things that i need. Thanks for letting me know where to get carb gasket material.

Kitten Tooth

Comment

It may be gas resistant, but if a chunk breaks off and gets stuck in the wrong place... It may be somewhat remote, but it's a risk.

Sounds like on both sets of carbs that you have an inlet valve seating or o-ring problem. The fuel should not get up high enough to leak out of the float bowls under normal conditions methinks. Sealing the gasket will solve the symptom, not the problem. Watch that cylinder for richness.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                    Better yet, remove the old ones carefully and use them over and over....that's what I always do and I've never had one leak.

Yep! that has been my experiance as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X