Fuel Sending Unit Leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Sending Unit Leaking

my bike has developed a leak in the fuel sending unit. It appears to be leaking from one of the bolts that holds it to the tank.
    I have tried to tighten down, but still leaking.

I'm assuming gasket is bad, wondering if there is some kind of sealant (liquid gasket, permatex) that i could use to stop the leak.

anyone have any luck doing this ?

or maybe getting some gasket sheet and fabricating a replacement.

if all else fails, i can go to bike bandit and order.

thanks in advance.

If you know that it's the gasket...get a new one. Sealants have never worked for me and as a rule, I won't use them in conjunction with the fuel system. My .02

Comment

MOST of the stock petcocks use an oval ruber Oring as the gasket. If its no longer holding fuel, its probably time to toss the oring, however, at this point, you may be best served to REPLACE the entire petcock. Yeah, its working now (is it?) but if the oring is old enough to fail, then likely so are the diaphrams inside the petcock itself. You are dealing with highly flamable liquid right around the crotchal region.... Liquid type sealants are probably NOT a good idea for a fix either..

Comment

Why change the petcock o-ring?

He said it's the sending unit gasket that's leaking.

Originally posted by mbradford99 View Post
        my bike has developed a leak in the fuel sending unit. It appears to be leaking from one of the bolts that holds it to the tank. ...
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by mbradford99 View Post
          my bike has developed a leak in the fuel sending unit. It appears to be leaking from one of the bolts that holds it to the tank.
          I have tried to tighten down, but still leaking.

I'm assuming gasket is bad, wondering if there is some kind of sealant (liquid gasket, permatex) that i could use to stop the leak.

anyone have any luck doing this ?

or maybe getting some gasket sheet and fabricating a replacement.

if all else fails, i can go to bike bandit and order.

thanks in advance.

I just swapped my sending unit from my bad tank to my good one, and It looked to me like that gasket was on there good, almost part of the tank. I think you'd be best off getting an oem one from a dealer, versus trying to make one, or repair it especially when it relates to fuel, and being in contact with it continuously. ..just my 2 cents

Heck If I can figure out how to get the one off of my leaky tank, you could have it....it never leaked there for me.

Jeff (teet)

Comment

I believe they are rubber seals.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

going to order an OEM today.

thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
              X