Staring from scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staring from scratch

Ok here goes.. I am a bit reluctant to post this here since you guys seem like mainly stock slash original bike lovers. Not that there's anything wrong with that, lol.. Good reads over the past few weeks though, for sure.
    I entend to make a basic cafe lookalike. I dont think the bike is or was worth restoring to its original state.

Its 82 GS850g thats a complete wiring system nightmare and I cant figure it out for nuttin.
    I looked at the bike it ran ok but something just didnt seem right, bought it anyway. Got it home, fiddled around with some stuff here and there and managed to happen across a plug wire that was crossed with another. Fired right up and purred like a nasty kittin, I was stoked. I just bought a bike on the cheap cause the previous owner dont know how to hook up plug wires. Took it for a little ride and it did pretty good. Little dead spot in the throttle but figured I could address that issue later. It has 4 into ones and Im sure if the PO cant hook plug wires correctly has sure aint gonna try and rejet tha carbs. It also wouldnt start after a while without a bump from the jumper. PO said he just paid 80 bux for a new batt, yeah right. Another issue that has reached needing attention, new battery is next. Looks to have an aftermarket stator.

Anyway I began the tast of taking apart and cleaning. THe battery box was one of my first areas to tackle. I dont think anything in here is original as it looks like someone has tried to "upgrade" everything, (pic) The coils are the clip on kind instead of like the ones I've seen on Bikecliffs website. As a matter of fact no much at all matches anything I've seen on the site as far as the wiring goes. I've driven myself crazy trying to figure it all out. Perhaps Im over thinking it or maybe I'm just not comprehending all the reading I've been doing.
    THe gauge cluster was smashed but Im not real crazy about the pretty little gear and safety lights anyway so its gone. All the safty switches such as the sidestand and clutch have been crossed. Do I also need to cross wire the neutral thing too? In other words does the bike need to be in neutral to start?
    I plan to install a speedometer only, no tach, no signal indicators, nothing needs to be powered on the front end of the bike exept the light for the speedo and a headlight, thats it. That being said I planned to remove all wires in the headlamp housing that pertaind to any of that but, someone, somewhere did some awefull things inside that bucket. I couldnt even begin to tell ya what was going on in there. I looked to me like he tried to add another part of a harness of some sorts. Had all kinds of loose wires not connected to anything and get this, another headlight plug. I have no idea. I couldnt even get the headlight bucket off for so many wires. I attempted to remove and wires that didnt look like it belonged. Maybe I shoulda left well enough alone but I knew the gauge cluster wasnt being reinstalled

So here's what it looks like Im gonna have to do. Either make or buy a basic motorcyle wiring harness if I ever wanna ride this thing. But mind you, I really dont have a clue what Im doing. Wiring really, and I mean really intimidates the crap out of me. Dont know why, maybe cause I;ve never really had to mess with it.
    Oh, I did manage to find the front brake switch and also have the rear light and brake light working. Its a start..

So here's my question, if I wanted to start from scratch and wire it with the basics, signals, lights(front and rear) with brake like and high and low beam and a basic charging system is there anyone who sells a harness or am I gonna have to build one from scratch?
    Also, if I tackle this task are ya'll willing to put up with me and all my silly questions?

Here's some pics of what Im up against. THe one shot is of some spare electical parts the PO gave me. Also, bare with me, Im still in the learning stages of this electrical stuff but Im not really one who gives up easily. PLus I really wanna ride this thing. Seems like a fantastic bike and I personally really think it its gonna make an awesome looking cafe looker.

sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

holy crap it looks like c3po just barfed lol the only questions here in the gs realm is the one not asked!

Comment

Do you believe you actually have sillier questions than have been asked before? Me thinks you have too high of an opinion of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
        Do you believe you actually have sillier questions than have been asked before? Me thinks you have too high of an opinion of yourself.
        I hope you're saying no question is too silly.
        Cause Im sure gonna have lots of em.

Another pic..

sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

Comment

I'm in the process of replacing the harness on my project bike. The old harness was a total loss so I'm using a harness from a different model bike and adapting it. The wiring systems are pretty similar from model to model so its doable. You might want to check the Parts For Sale forum here and on ebay, and look for a 1100G or 850G harness. You could even make a regular 1000 harness work but I suggest something from a '80 or later bike.

Good luck
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks Nessism.
            Been looking on ebay for a while but wasnt quite sure which harness I could use. Is it correct Suzuki went to EI in 1980?
            How can I tell if the current components are working correctly, IE Regulator, Rectifier ect?
            Also, this thing has a big black box mounted between the fuse plate and battery box that I have to idea what it is. Any idea?
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

Comment

when i first started here i always started my questions out something like this ......i know this is a stupid question that has been asked a million of times but can you...... lol so your right i did mean silly questions were the only ones not asked but i digress

Comment

Hi,

Search feature found:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Hi,

Search feature found:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Thanks BassCliff!
                  I found that one yesterday, been looking at that diagram all day..
                  I didnt want this bike to be a "winter project" but it sure looks like it going in that direction.
                  Thanks for all you do!!
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Hi Mr. Octain,

I guess I'm just not quick enough sometimes. I must be loosing my touch.

Good luck on your wiring project. It should be fun. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                      Thanks Nessism.
                      Been looking on ebay for a while but wasnt quite sure which harness I could use. Is it correct Suzuki went to EI in 1980?
                      How can I tell if the current components are working correctly, IE Regulator, Rectifier ect?
                      Also, this thing has a big black box mounted between the fuse plate and battery box that I have to idea what it is. Any idea?
                      Unfortunately, the 1982 model year bikes went to a different ignition system compared to the 80-81 bikes. They all have electronic ignition but bikes like yours have a different ignitor that has the spark advance managed electronically. Unless you find the proper harness for your bike you will most likely have to play around with different types of plugs. It's not as bad as it sounds though; if I could do it so can you!
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

<<< if I could do it so can you! >>>

Im not so sure about that..

What about a later than 82 model, say an 85?
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

Comment

I have a good harness off an 80 GS750E.
                          I bet you can get that wired up with the diagram.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                            I have a good harness off an 80 GS750E.
                            I bet you can get that wired up with the diagram.

I bet you might be correct.

PM sent..
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Does this splice look like something the factory did?

Im seeing lots of em.

sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Working...
                              X