Testing the stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing the stator

After reading the "stator papers", I've concluded my R/R is toast! BUT before I go replacing it with a nice new electrix unit and burn that out because the stator is possibly bad, I want to test my stator, BUT I can not get the motor running to test its output. How can I bench test the stator to see if its good/bad so I don't waste my money blowing out a new r/r?

Thanks,
    Al Conforti

I don't know if its a sure thing but....

I tested mine on 1-2, 1-3, 2-3, with an ohm meeter. I got a reading of about 1.2 ohm on all three circuits. My bike was in running condition so I did the running test as well with no R/R and it was fine. Once you get the R/R back on you can test it at the polls to be sure the whole system is fine. Be sure to work on all the connections as you go allong. I used some contact lube on every thing I could possibly find to clean and reconnect. Then I ran a new ground wire from the rectifier to the back of the motor where the battery ground is attached.

Comment

You can't really do a full bench test on it.

You can only see if it has a short.

Your ohmmeter should give very high ohms when contacted between every wire and the stator frame.

Very low or zero ohm reading on any of the three wires means a short, and the coil attached to it is bad.

You should do a further check, which is for continuity in each coil, as a break in the wire leading from the coil, while not causing a short, will also show no reading, but it it possible that it could be repaired.

Most often, it is not the stator that causes the R/R to go, but the reverse.

When you do the repairs, be sure to add an extra ground wire from the R/R directly to the battery, as well as the wire to the frame.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I also got a toasted r/r. For how much can you buy those things.
        A guy in the motor store told me about 185 EUR, but that's more than my bike in total.

Somebody got an idea on a cheaper r/r?

Comment

CHeap alternitive use reg from 78-82 Honda CB/CL 450/550 etc. See reg modification it the tips and tricks section It works great I have one on my GS850 been on the bike for over 6 months No problems just make sure that you have a good ground between the reg and the battery Usually add an extra (heavy wire) wire fron the mounting bolt of the reg direct to the battery.

Comment

sounds great, gonna check it out. Thanks.

Comment

a r/r from a 78-82 honda cb/cl 450/550 is even more expensive to buy new.

Where do I get them cheap? At the wreckers? How will I know it works?

I checked the output from the stator. It was on all three wire about 70 V (4000rpm).
              Then I hooked on the r/r and the only output it gives is on the red wire around the 12V and 13V. That's not enough I think.

I'm lost. If I would like riding so much I would give up.

Comment

Working...
              X