Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much vacume for manometer

So i got a carb sync tool today.

Set it up on cylinder three to calibrate it.

After calibration i attached one hose to each carb port, fired it up and cylinder three shoots straight to the top!!!

It doesnt make any since to me, i cant adjust that cylinder so vacume is what it is....right ... any thoughts????

I have "suction reducer" things in the tubes that change the large diameter hose to a small orfice hole to reduce the vacume to begin with.

I really need to sync these things.

BTW, i have pods...... please dont tell me this is the reason.

thanks guys

Hi,

What tool did you get? The Morgan Carb Tune? Those don't need calibration. Just hook up all four cylinders and balance.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Its a motion pro SyncPRO tool.

Got it from my local suzuki dealer.

Uses a glocol fluid.

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,

What tool did you get? The Morgan Carb Tune? Those don't need calibration. Just hook up all four cylinders and balance.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Sounds like you might have to remove the carbs and do a bench sync before proceeding.

Evidently, 1,2 &4 are all open a bit farther and the bike is running on them. Because #3 is closed down further, it has more restriction, and that is what is generating the higher vacuum. A bench sync will let you visually set the throttle blades to approximately the same opening, then you can fine-tune it with the "sticks".

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Right on steve, ill give that a try. I had em bench synced before and they were darn close.

Yet another, you come to the rescue. Ill post with my results.

Thanks a bunch.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Sounds like you might have to remove the carbs and do a bench sync before proceeding.

Evidently, 1,2 &4 are all open a bit farther and the bike is running on them. Because #3 is closed down further, it has more restriction, and that is what is generating the higher vacuum. A bench sync will let you visually set the throttle blades to approximately the same opening, then you can fine-tune it with the "sticks".

Comment

Well i pulled the carbs off. Checked bench sync and WOW IT WAS WAY OFF!!!

Turns out i didnt reinstall the lower bar that ties the carbs together so anytime i movedd the carbs, it screwed up the sync BAD.

So i reinstalled it, and bench synced and back on the bike. World of difference in the idle, and everything else. Hooked up the sunc tool and same problem.

When i turn the idle up to about 4000 rpm the level drops, but as i lower the idle, the level raises.

The only place where i can get the level to a usable point the motor is screaming!!!! Too much for confort.

Comment

Did you put the restrictors in the tubes?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

When i turn the idle up to about 4000 rpm the level drops, but as i lower the idle, the level raises.

The only place where i can get the level to a usable point the motor is screaming!!!! Too much for confort.
                Most of the time when you do a vacuum sync the idle should be around 1500-1800 rpms. You either want the level in the tubes to be the same or 1,4 slightly higher than 2,3. If you are using mercury stick, running at 4k rpms will probably suck the mercury into the engine.

Check to make sure your carbs are assembled properly since you said you forgot to install the lower bar that ties the carbs together, maybe you forgot something else. Make sure the choke and idle adjustment mechanism are working.

Comment

What happens if some mercury does get sucked into the engine?
                  :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                  Past:73' CL360, 74' CB450, 80' GS550,
                  83' CB550SC, 78' CX500, 81' GL1100,
                  85' GL1200LTD, 85' Honda Rebel
                  84' GS1150, 92' GSX 1100G
                  Current:
                  80' GS1100E,,
                  81 Yamaha XS1100,
                  01' Bandit 1200
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus666 View Post
                    What happens if some mercury does get sucked into the engine?
                    You loose the mercury.

Comment

The EPA will find out about it and will come take your engine and fine you for doing something yourself.

Comment

Working...
                      X