forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forks

i recently purchased a 80 gs750 my bike came with these forks look like air shocks anybody got any ideas what kind they are are they stock are they modified are they any good

Mine are the same way, fitted with a cap that has an air fitting. Don't know if this is stock or not. I've been running progressive fork springs, 15 weight fork oil and 6psi air. The bike handles very well.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
      I've been running progressive fork springs, 15 weight fork oil and 6psi air. The bike handles very well.
      Interesting to hear that you are running Progressives and still use additional air.

Do you find that you need to add air occasionally? If so, install a longer spacer (maybe about 1/2") and you should not have to run ANY air.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Interesting to hear that you are running Progressives and still use additional air.

Do you find that you need to add air occasionally? If so, install a longer spacer (maybe about 1/2") and you should not have to run ANY air.

Ive actually added air from time to time myself, even with the progressive springs... seems to make the ride a bit more "cushy" when two up, but thats the only time ive used it. I also ended up going three clicks on the preload adjuster. I think next time i get springs for the 1100ES, I will get the 1108's instead of the -07s... Or simply cut a LONGER spacer... They feel great now, nice and stiff, but not brutal or jarring. Thing tracks like a lazer even over rough roads...

Comment

When I first changed the fork springs and shocks, I rode the bike a couple hundred miles with no air and #3 setting on the shocks (1 being lightest). I found the front end too sensitive, felt every little ripple and bump. I live in the city and the roads are bad with many cracks and potholes. After adding air the front felt much better, ride was softer with less road feel. I also set the rear shocks on #2. I weigh about 230, for me this is a comfortable setup.

Comment

nice im about the same weight when u say #2 is that 2nd from the highest or lowest

Comment

That is 2nd from the lowest (least amount). Keep in mind that you must balance the suspension front to back. That was my setup with progressive fork springs, 15 weight fork oil and 6 psi air in the forks.

Comment

any ideas on how much oil each fork takes

Comment

Fill each leg up till it's 140mm from the top with the fork compressed & no spring in it...
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

cool thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X