question. what is the pet cock that I am reading about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question. what is the pet cock that I am reading about

I had a situation this past friday, after rolling down the expressway, my 1979 GS 550E started to bog and eventually died. I got it restarted and home. I could not find out why it did this. I saw this question on bikecliffs web site. 13) Install new petcock, since I'm going to head to the roof with a rifle if I have to read about yet another #2 plug fouling and failed hillbilly attempts to rebuild the petcock and/or deny there's a problem.

Is this the fuel tank pet cock? I wonder if my vacuum diaphram is bad causing it to run out of gas.

I checked the coils, plugs, I have a dynatek ignition and the timing is dead on. fuel line and vacuum lines are new

Any suggestions????

Thank you for your help

Yes sir. Every reference to "Petcock" is in fact the fuel valve bolted to the bottom of the fuel tank. If you changed the Fuel and Vac hoses make sure they are not too long which can cause them to kink when you put the tank back on. If thats not it try running on "Pri". That will tell you if your Petcock is bad.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Yes, any mention of a "petcock" is usually concerning the fuel tank petcock.

Suggestions?
      Sure.
      #1. Next time it happens, turn the petcock to the PRI position to see if it still happens. If it does, it just might be your diaphragm.
      #2. If #1 does not help, next time it bogs down, loosen the gas cap, listen to see if you hear a "whoosh" when you break the seal. If so, you need to clean the vent in the gas cap.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks !!!!!

Thanks, I did have to turn it to prime to get it home. I will get a new diaphram

Comment

Originally posted by jteller1 View Post
          Thanks, I did have to turn it to prime to get it home. I will get a new diaphram
          Get a new petcock. The diaphrams/rebuild kits are generally JUNK, and you may end up with it functioning WORSE than it already does, as in not at all, or it wont STOP flowing. An OEM style petcock can be purchased for your bike from www.Z1Enterprises.com for roughly 50 bucks, give or take 10 bucks, and you wont have to worry about the darn thing for another 20 years...

Comment

A big thank you!!!!

Thank you for the web site. I checked it out and it has allot of cool stuff that I will eventually need to keep this old 30yr girl on the road.

Comment

Check out this thread about my carb issues. I was having very similar problems with my GS1000, and it ended up being that I added a new petcock, and the fuel line was too long...these bikes are gravity feed, and if your fuel line snakes around too much it can starve your carbs by not filling the bowls.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

good luck!

Jeff (teet)

Comment

Hi,

Are you using a fuel filter? A petcock looks something like this:

Sometimes the parts fiches will call it a "fuel cock".

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                  __________________________________________________ ______________________
                  2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

In Australia we prefer to keep our pet cocks in our trousers. The thing under the petrol tank is a petrol tap.

*Zooks wanders off muttering to himself* - "bloody silly 'mericans."

Comment

^^^ lols australia is awesome

Comment

I'm sorry, but I can't resist this:

In Australia we prefer to keep our pet cocks in our trousers.

So chastity and celibacy are Australian virtues? Could have fooled me, but...

Comment

Just in case everyone doesn't know not all petcocks have a prime position available. Mine only has On and Res

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence Johnson View Post
                            I'm sorry, but I can't resist this:

In Australia we prefer to keep our pet cocks in our trousers.

So chastity and celibacy are Australian virtues? Could have fooled me, but...

LMAO - Smart arse

Comment

Working...
                            X