What kind of lube to mount tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of lube to mount tires?

Is there a specific product for this? I used to use linseed soap when I mounted truck tires. On my bike I used watered down shampoo with little luck so I then used watered down dish detergent. That didn't work too well either but I didn't want to use it straight as I would probably spin my rim...

Steve

Steve Go to a garage that installs tires and see if they will give you about a cup of their tire mounting lube/sealer.You can get it at any auto parts store but you will have to buy a whole gallon which you will never use up in your life time.LOL

Comment

I just use a little dish soap and water.

Comment

I remember that along time ago you could buy a spray can of tire mounting lube at bike shops that made mounting tires only painful and not deadly. The stuff went on slippery and then set up to be pretty tacky. I wonder if they might still have something like this in the dirt bike section of your local shop.

Comment

Straight dishwashing soap. After it dries it's almost like glue. Added benifit, after you mount the tire and inflate you can lay it on it's side and check for leaks with a little water(blows real nice bubbles if leaking ).

Comment

OK, I know this will shock the peanuts out of your M+M's but...WD-40. Been using it for about 15 years now without any problems. Never spun a rim. The local Honda shop turned me on to this...that's what they use!

Comment

Here's another counter-intuitive solution: Armorall. Used it to mount many tires over 15+ years. Never a problem.

Comment

Dish soap. Never had a problem.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Lube

The same as all the above but i also use talcum powder in the tyre as it lets the tube move around and not cause creasing as you pump the tyre up. Always fit the tube with a little air inside it as not to cause creasing when you stuff it in the tyre. This is a old trick on low air wheels like flat-track/speedway bikes as it stops the tube chaffing on long races.

Comment

Working...
                  X