Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie - Help, hole in gastank!!!!

Hi all,

I have an '82 GS650GL that I'm trying to get on the road. I was cleaning out the rust from the gas tank yesterday with water and vinegar when I realised that there is a pinpoint hole in the underside of the gastank through which the water/vinegar solution was leaking. It is a tiny hole but a BIG problem.

Has anyone encountered such a problem? Is there any easy fix for this? I'd really appreciate any advice on this.

This is a great site, and thanks for all the help with my previous question.

Thanks,

Anuj

Anuj,

Never tried it myself, don't know how good it works. But check this out:

Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

The poor mans solution is to patch it with JBweld. I have three such patches on my tank and two of them has held for over 2 years. Just sand down to bare metal, hit it with a tack rag, and smear some JBweld on it like you were patching a hole in drywall. Let it cure over night and voila.....Instant dryness 8)

Comment

I second the JB weld. I had to do it on a Chevy S-10 gas tank, with it in the truck, and leaking. Last I heard, it hadn't leaked anymore.

Comment

I just finished sealing an old tank with POR-15 that, by most measures, should have just been thrown away. It had more than five pinholes, including one was more than 1mm in diameter that enlarged following the phosphoric acid wash. The POR-15 sealed them all, including the large hole. I've had gas in the tank for two weeks now without the slightest sign of leakage. I'm impressed with the product to say the least.

Jeff

Comment

If POR-15 sealer is as good as their other products that I have used, that is the way to go.

Comment

The Por-15 is suposed to be far better than the Kream tank sealer that you see at the moorcycle shops

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice on my gastank holes. I think I'll try the "Poor man's" solution using JBWeld as suggested by HiSPL. However can I get a few more tips on the process?

- What do you mean by "hit it with a tack rag" ?

- Where can I find JBWeld? I checked the website for JBWeld, www.jbweld.co.uk, and saw that they have a lot of products like Adhesive Weld, or AutoWeld or JBKwik . Which product exactly should I use and where's the best place I can find it.

I'm sorry if the questions are really basic, but I'm a complete newbie. I appreciate all the help from you guys.

Thanks,

Anuj

Comment

JB weld is available usually at any auto supply store. A tack rag is a small cheese cloth towel impregnated with a sticky substance used for final wipe down before painting to remove any traces of dirt,dust. Just clean it very good with soap and water, dry it and apply JB weld, coat the area with primer when done

Comment

Thanks guys.

I just applied JBWeld on my tank. I saw that the hole had gotten bigger after the vinegar treatment, but hopefully it should hold. I'll let ya'll know the results. Fingers crossed.

Anuj

Comment

Thanks guys.

I just applied JBWeld on my tank. I saw that the hole had gotten bigger after the vinegar treatment, but hopefully it should hold. I'll let ya'll know the results. Fingers crossed.

Anuj

Comment

Thanks a lot guys for all your suggestions,

I tried JBWeld and it took care of the hole. Hope it holds.

No other holes so gas tank is leakproof now!!

Slowly but surely I'm getting towards putting my bike on the road.

Thanks again fellas.

Anuj

Comment

Hey Anuj how did the vineger treatment work for you? I'm debating trying that or getting the Por-15.

Comment

The vinegar treatment worked pretty good. It got rid of a lotof rust although I'm sure it didnt completely clean it out coz I tried looking inside with a flashlight and there were some speck. But initially I had a LOT of rust so its good. I used a 50:50 solution and left it overnight, and then washed it out with a high pressure hose, and dried it with a hair drier.

I didnt want to go with the POR-15 as it was more work, more time consuming and more expensive.

Good Luck,

Anuj

Comment

Why did you not just go to a welder and have him build up metal around the weak spots and fix it permanently?? :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                              X