part i.d. with no camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

part i.d. with no camera

here's a high tech question. i don't have a camera, so please bear with my description.

coming from the lower portion of the engine, mid-line, is a part that extends aft. it sort of sits over the starter cover, and extends almost to the bottom of the carbs.

what is it? i cannot locate it on the on-line fiche. mine is covered with soot, so i'm starting to try and figure out what is going on.

thanks.

Sounds like the cam chain tensioner

Comment

thank you so much, that's exactly what it is. i found it on-line. and so, a follow up question:

i presume i have a bit of oil causing the soot buildup....is this common at this location? cause for concern? where to start in my investigation?

again, thanks so much.

Comment

First of all, get the owners manual. Removal & replacement of the cam chain tensioner is not dufficult if you have the manual.

Buy a new gasket now, before you get started.

Recommendation. Replace the screws with ss allen head bolts. It will make the job easier next time.

Comment

you people are true whizzes.

i have a manual, just didn't know what chapter to look in. i'm glad to see that a gasket is only a few bucks.

thanks again.

Comment

Rebuild instructions... yours will look a little different, but the seals and o-rings are very likely the same.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

thanks bwringer. most helpful. once the riding season ends, i have lots to do.

Comment

All O rings are available from Suzuki UK so may be the same in your area.

Getting the top 10mm nut/cross headed screw into the barrel is a pain in the bum with the carbs still on. No room for a socket.

Comment

Working...
                X