Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probably been asked, but I didn't find it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably been asked, but I didn't find it.

Hey guys,

Bike is working fairly well, although I notice a new fork seal leak. Instead of replacing the seals, I have what looks to be a stiffer set of GS550 forks. I believe the bike is an '82, or maybe younger. My bike is a 1981 GS850L. I was wondering if the forks will just swap out.

What makes you think a set of 550 forks would be "stiffer" than a set of 850 forks?

And, by "stiffer" do you mean the springs are stronger and won't compress as easily

- or -

the tube walls are thicker and won't bend as easily.

Either way, there is no way to tell by looking.

By the way, they might be a straight swap. According to this site, they both have the same diameter.
    You will have to verify length, axle position and caliper mounts to see if they will actually work.
    Note that your 850L has leading axle forks and dual disk brakes. How about the 550 forks?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Might double check that (worthless) list again Mr Steve my friend...The 550 have 35mm forks (the 83 and up models might have been 37mm, but ive never measured them, and they wouldnt swap anyway) The 850, all variants, have 37mm forks. Leading axle forks will not correctly swap to end axle trees, the geometry of the clamps is slightly different and would likely cause alignment problems, as well as the fact the fender and what have you wouldnt correctly mount. However, end axle/end axle will swap WITH the entire tree, and bearing swaps (if needed) but I dunno why you'd want to switch to a lesser set of forks (smaller, flimsy) in the 550 stuff just to save an hour of work in changing the fork seals on your 850s forks. You'll spend more time trying to do the swap than doing the seal replacement.

Comment

Ok, that sounds decent enough--I'll just order some new seals. I looked on Z1, but it seems they don't have the 850GL model listed. Out of the list, which one should I pick?

Comment

Yours is a GLX (the X because it's 1981) and the fork seals are in the body section:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

The seals are the same as the ones for the G models.

Many listings don't bother to make the distinction between G and GL, but in this case it's OK.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              Might double check that (worthless) list again Mr Steve my friend...
              I thought the 850 forks were bigger, but like I said in my first post:
              Originally posted by Steve View Post
              According to this site, they both have the same diameter.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok awesome, my final question is--when I do the swap, is it the same procedure for the GS1000, and if so, do i really need to make a tool like he did, or does that just make it easier?

Comment

Working...
                X